Was anyone else aware that One-Hit Wonder band Shocking Blue was actually an AWESOME band?

I should add that I’m a bass player. My job in a band is to, along with the drummer, establish a groove. As the saying goes, “Im a bass player. I don’t dance. I make you want to dance.” And holy crap, I have to agree with the OP, this band was great. The bassist was phenomenal, and between him and the the drummer, that song almost made even me want to dance!

And this band almost feels like a precursor to the symphonic metal that is currently coming out of The Netherlands and Scandinavia. I’m particularly intrigued by the guitarist’s use of distortion on “Send Me a Postcard”. Most songs I’ve heard from that time period had pretty lame distortion effects. But I really like it on that song.

Sorry for the triple-post, but after rewatching the “Venus” video (from 1968), I couldn’t help noticing that there are a couple places where the guitar part sounds an awful lot like Pete Townshend’s guitar playing on Pinball Wizard (1969).

Specifically, the sus4th chord thing (for those of you who might know what a sus4th chord is), and the strumming rhythm used on that 4th chord.

Interesting. Really great example of a cover (if not really quite my bag). Kinda reminds me of the feel of an old James Bond theme, but with modern production.

I had no idea The Shocking Blue were Dutch until this thread. Always did love the original “Venus,” but never heard any other of their work. Will have to check out.

I’ve managed to collect most of their LPs (there are a lot!). I’d highly recommend tracking them down, rather than settling for the ‘best of’

Well, Mariska Veres is definitely bigger now.

Sorry, couldn’t help it. I’ll go now. :stuck_out_tongue:

Probably not anymore. She died of cancer in 2006.:frowning:

Well now I feel like an ass. :frowning:

I’d never tried the band, but listening to Love Buzz for the first time was pretty impressive. Looking at wikipedia they weren’t a one hit band though. They had a pretty good following in Europe, they just never caught on here in the US.

I watched that video a couple nights ago and found myself wondering, was she that short, was that guitarist just that tall?

It seems like it took until the 1990s before foreign bands, other than those from Great Britain, started catching on in the USA. Aside from bands like ABBA or Scorpions, I don’t recall seeing many artists from non-English-speaking countries succeed with American audiences (beyond being “one-hit wonders”), even when they sang in English.

Now, a lot of my favorite acts are from Scandinavia, Finland, and The Netherlands, and those same bands are having success here (and in many other countries).

I did a double-take when I first saw the thread, thinking at first you were talking about Prussian Blue.

But, no, I was not aware. Thanks for the heads-up!

Well, I’ll confess that at first glance I thought the OP was talking about Deep Blue Something, the band that did that Breakfast at Tiffany’s song.

I hate you, I’ve only gotten to see them twice, and that was 10 years ago. I’ve really wanted to just take like a week and follow them around, but damn plane tickets are expensive.

What’s wrong with that? Be a rather boring/lonely job if the shepherd didn’t have any sheep.

I’m not surprised that there are lots of bands out there that are really good who people only know for one song that might not even be their best.

Holy crap, that’s Mama Cass! When was it recorded?

Sometimes I hear *Song X *was copied from Song Y and I listen to both and think “yeah…well…maybe.”

THAT was a direct lift!

It’s from 1963, around the tail-end of the Great Folk Scare.

Somebody in the comments was saying “It’s a public domain song, anybody can use it any way they want”.

Well, sure, the lyrics to “O, Susannah” are public domain, but that tune was not the original, public domain tune.