Was Aunt Bee A Spinster? Widow?

But not a white onion. They didn’t have any white onions, because of the war; the only thing you can get was those big yellow ones.

(Sing to tune of “Windy”)

*Who’s walkin’ ‘round the streets of May-ber-ry
Smilin’ at everybody she sees
Who’s takin’ care of Andy and Opie
Everyone knows it’s Aunt Bee

And Aunt Bee has thun-der thighs
Her aprons are all king size
She gives Gomer’s jeans a rise
When she walks by
When she walks byyyy…*

This was taught me by a classmate in the mid 80s. He is now an economist at Oxford. Yes, that Oxford.

I love it!

I guess it’s a good thing he’s not teaching poetry at Oxford.

I don’t think it’s fair to characterize Aunt Bee as a “slut.” She was a woman of appetites, is all.

We all know Aunt Bee was a FAFL. (Fat Ass Free Loader).

But she wasn’t a lesbian. Anytime any many over 50 came into town she was all over him ASAP. (And so was Clara who usually lost out to Bee, thus proving weight isn’t that much of an issue to guys over 50)

I noticed Millie was also from West Virigina (Wheeling)

In light of this photographic evidence, I must admit there is little to support the notion that Aunt Bee was a widow, although…

If she had been married to Andy’s paternal uncle, she would have his last name.

That was pretty much standard for the show. Why does Opie have no grandparents, aunts, uncles, or first cousins? (Bee is of course his great-aunt.) His deceased mother is barely mentioned at all in the show and there’s no evidence, other than Opie himself, of her ever having lived in the house. Barney was once established as Andy’s cousin, but that notion was quietly dropped.

On the other hand, we do see one of Aunt Bee’s sisters (does Andy ever call her Aunt Nora?) and a cousin, and a cousin (named Bradford T. Taylor, which, incidentally supports the idea that she wa born a Taylor).

This, along with the belief I posted in my first paragraph (not included) that she was a blood relative of Andy’s supports my contention that she was a spinster.

I watch the show quite a lot and I *kind of *remember something being said about the blood relationship between her and Andy, but haven’t been storing such information exactly. I will still try to find something that supports (or not) what I’ve posted though.

Widows aren’t required to wear their wedding rings. Since Aunt Bea was looking for some action, it wouldn’t be surprising for her to stop wearing hers.

After a certain age, a man comes to appreciate good nature and good cooking skills in a woman.

In my family, widows continue to wear their rings. If their husbands had a ring, generally they wear that ring on a necklace.