Was Los Angeles Ever Pronounced With A "hard" G

To me HARD “g” is “g” in “grab” and SOFT “g” is “g” in “guinea”. I call “G” in “george” “fricative G”. Is that simply wrong or what?

It’s not just California… we Texans pronounce San Antonio with the same “San”, although the “A” sound at the beginning is the only other place we mangle the city’s pronunciation.

Other places in Texas… well, that’s a different story.

True up to a point…Don Lee actually carried CBS programs in the west until 1936. At that point CBS demanded they cut back regional programming and carry ALL CBS shows. The Lee chain refused, and switched from CBS to Mutual.

You kidding? It’s the same sound.

Perhaps groman was thinking in Russian.

Escondido comes pretty close.

I’m pretty sure the narrator in “The Big Lebowski” uses a hard G presumably to sound quaint. I kind of prefer the hard G. But then again, I still remain aghast at American pronounciations of just about anything French or Castellano (as I kind of speak these languages).

Well, that might be regional, but I just asked a native English speaker from here to say those two words and they are clearly different sounds.

So I looked it up to make sure I am not insane and apparently I might be:
['gin.i] and [græb] according to the Cambridge dictionary.
Honestly to me “guinea” sounds a lot more [gʲƏni] (I hope this shows up right), but what do I know, I’m a foreigner

That’s probably it, actually. Makes sense.