Was 'meeting their parents' a thing with you?

It’s amusing to picture this happening all at once, i.e., your parents and your wife are waiting for you at a restaurant, and you show up with three ex-girlfriends. It seems appropriately very French. :wink:

Is this really a dilemma anymore? I’m not married to either of my daughters, and I did what I could to make them self-fulfilling people. I pity the fool who crosses them, and I’m good with watching the fallout from the sidelines. And I don’t like seeing strange faces in my house when I first wake up, so any new kids are better off being accompanied by a native. Not to mention the hassle of maintaining an additional bedroom when wrecking one should be sufficient.

As for me meeting the missus’ parents, it was not a big deal, just a matter of course. First wife’s parents knew me since I was 15. 2nd wife’s mom just figured I was her daughter’s latest mistake and got to know me gradually as I attended family events over the ensuing 10 years. Meeting her dad was a bigger deal because it involved an international flight, but still pretty informal as I’d been married to his daughter for like 9 years already. Curiously, Mom has never met either of my wives’ parents. by design–Mom isn’t a good person.

Hey, I’m not French :mad: !

You’re right of course, it was poorly worded. But now that mention it… :smiley:

This happened to back in 1999.

I had met a very pretty girl on holidays and it was clear from the start that she was her parents’s little treasure. Still, they handled our relationship very tactfully, allowing us to spend our days and evenings alone together*. No questions asked, as long as she was back at their hotel at the agreed time, a request which, of course, I obeyed strictly. They even took me once on an excursion. Yeah, they were pretty cool.

However, when she invited me to her parents’ house a few weeks later, she told me that I had to sleep in the guest room. I must admit I was dumbfounded and a bit peeved in fact. But it was “their house, their rules”, and I made the most of the weekend.

• Yes, the sex was wonderful.