Was rock really dead in 1959-64?

Touche’!

For added fun, excitement and thrills pick your favorite(s) from

Number One Songs - School year 1960/1961

I know you’re being funny, but that song is actually evidence that some people thought rock and roll was a fad. Otherwise, why make the argument that they’re wrong?

It’s also evidence of how little range Danny and the Juniors had.

I have. I got to hear my wife agonizing over whether or not to play “Rock Island Line” for her class last week. (“It’s his most famous song! But it’s not really the best example of skiffle! Argh! I can’t decide!”)

I think the idea that rock was a fad was used to defend it against those who called it the Devil’s music. They would say not to worry, the kids will move on to something else after a while. I don’t know if that song specifically was a reaction to that or not though.

I have to agree somewhat with the general premise that without the Beatles or some other group advancing the genre it might have died. It ain’t exactly healthy today.

Rock is nearly dead but metal is fucking THRIVING. And frankly, some of the lamer, tamer metal bands are quickly becoming more like rock bands. They find a market there and so rock and roll is kept alive by those not brutal enough to be metal but not wimpy enough to be pop music.

Avenged Sevenfold is a perfect example.

Dylan played rock in Minnesota before he moved to New York. Folk was a lot more commercial in the Village, and there was his idolization of Woody. Dylan really went back to rock.

I was around then, and I was going to say exactly this. There was also The Name Game, Witch Doctor, the Battle of New Orleans, the Battle of Camp Cuckamonga and a ton more.

I liked the Four Seasons, but it was hardly the same.

I was there also. Notice how before the Beatles lots of “stars” were the children of celebs - Frank Sinatra’s daughter, Dean Martin’s son, Ricky Nelson (the exception with talent). After the Beatles groups looked like the Beatles. Groups found they had to write their own songs, not import them from Tin Pan Alley.
Pre-Beatles comedians were disdainful of Rock - Stan Freberg is a good example. It took a while, but I remember a lot more respect for Rock post-Beatles.

True enough; IIRC he cited Little Richard as his main influence during his pre-folk days.

There is also this deeply weird comment from Sinatra in 1957:

How about Mitch Miller, the uber-powerful A&R head of Columbia Records?

Or William F. Buckley?

That was 1964. He seems to have shut up after that, maybe around the time that Sinatra started covering rock songs and Miller got fired from Columbia.

Funny stuff from a guy whose shtick was “Sing Along with Me.” :stuck_out_tongue:

Switching into anal mode again…Nancy Sinatra had her first hit in February 1966, two years after The Beatles hit America. Dino, Desi and Billy’s first hit was in mid-1965, a year and a half after.

So since Rick Nelson is “the exception with talent,” looks like your theory isn’t holding up too well! :slight_smile:

I definitely agree with you that Mitch Miller and WFB were comedians. :smiley: (I had to suffer through my parent’s Mitch Miller records. ) They usually had better taste - they bought Bill Cosby’s early stuff and my mother had a Spike Jones 78.

As I remember, in his high school yearbook he stated as his goal in life “to join Little Richard’s band”.