Watching movies in the theater: where do you prefer to sit?

In an older theater, 1/4 to 1/3 from the front, and as close to the center of the row as possible.

With the stadium-style theaters, I can sit further back, but I like the screen to fill my entire field of vision.

This. It’s neither ladylike nor adult, but I can’t enjoy a movie if I’m squinched into a seat and can’t put my feet up, so I aim for the center where I can put my feet up on the metal divides.

The ideal spot is precisely in the center.

I barely go to the cinema anymore, but I usually try to be somewhere in the middle. I measured with outstretched arms that the typical movie screen is only slightly bigger than my TV, which is only of average size as far as big TVs currently go.

However, the last few times I have gone with a friend of mine who is in a wheelchair, so there are only a few options available to him, on the level of the entrance, which tends to be in the front third. I saw Avatar that way, and I think it helped the 3D experience to have such a wide field of view.

Wherever I don’t get ‘Exit’ signs in my peripheral vision.

I said “center,” but I try to sit on the end of the row, if mostly because I usually have to get up and pee during the movie. I don’t like climbing over other people.

I know this also creates the “but then you block the row when other people are trying to take their seat!” problem, so I always try to get up from my seat in order to let others in if they wish to.

In the theater, preferably. I’ve tried watching movies from next to the popcorn stand, and it just doesn’t work well.

Seriously, though, my preference is about half to 2/3 back, center. Been sitting there ever since a friend who works at Dolby said that’s the sweet spot. They try to design the surround so it’s decent anywhere, but center of the room is all but guaranteed to be good.

In the middle but in the upper rows. And I don’t like a lot of people around me, so I tend to show up at weekday matinees if at all possible.

Somewhere in the middle, more towards the front if all the all the good seats are taken.

way in the back so I can have sex during the show

Middle left-to-right. If stadium seating, the frontmost raised row of seats (no seats in front for extra legroom and no blocking of the view)

Brian

Same here. Most always. Back row, seat all the way on the side/aisle, thank you.

I’m seeing a pattern here. I, too, don’t go to the movies very often (maybe once a year). I prefer waiting for it to come out on DVD and order it on Netflix.
I cannot stand all of the things mentioned in the above quotes. So as I just said in my post before this one, it’s the back row for me. Not soley for these reasons either. I enjoy the back row.