Water in your whiskey

Bourbon is not Tennessee whiskey; it’s not even whiskey from Tennessee. It’s usually from Kentucky.

Molecular gastronomy explains why adding water opens up the whiskey and improves the flavor.

but I like a 8oz. tumbler filled with ice icubes, then 4oz of Jim Beam Black, and a splash of water.

You know, I was going to quibble with your use of the word “usually,” until I did a spot of research. I had always thought it was only bourbon if it came from Bourbon County. Color me educated.

Our local distiller recommends you water it down to about 30% ABV. Cool tap water, not ice. I’ve tried it and certainly see his point, though I often drink malt neat.

What’s all these crazy questions you’re askin’ me?

Thanks for the earworm, 11811.

Yeah, if you’re a pussy! Real Men drink it neat!

<grunt, grunt>

scratches self

Yeah, yeah, I was quoting a distiller. And where’d you get your god-given authority from?

checks username

Oh. Sorry to have bothered you. :smack:

I cant imagine adding water directly to a glass of whiskey. I realize that when the ice melts it’s the same thing but the thought of putting water directly in souinds gross.

Also, what is Cask Strength? Is that like “fresh from the barrel”? Is the JD I buy at the store Cask Strength?

Yes, in the barrel the concentration is more like 60%. Cask strength whisky allows the buyer to dilute to taste, but it needs to be good stuff to be palatable at much more than the usual 40%. Regular whisky is watered down to 40% during bottling.

There’s an auld Scottish joke about when Jock does some work for Sandy, who is notoriously cheap. Sandy is pleased with Jock’s work and actually offers him something to drink. Jock’s request is “I’ll have half whisky and half water; and put in lots o’ water!”

Half and half is way too much water for my tastes, but it at least shows that the practice of adding water to your whisky is not unknown in Scotland.

I always used to think it was heresy to add water to a good scotch, but recently I’ve been putting maybe about 1 part water to 3 parts whisky, and I have to say it improves it no end.

I’m currently (well, not right now, I’m at work) enjoying the Glenmorangie Signet.

Whenever I try a new bourbon, I pour 2 glasses and add a wee bit of water to one of them. Very rarely do I notice enough of a difference to have a preference. On the other hand, when I’m drinking Irish whiskey, I absolutely prefer a little water in it. All a matter of taste, I suppose.

a splash

Usually I drink it on the rocks, which adds just a bit of water. I don’t usually add water.

Sometimes straight up. Sometimes 50/50 with cold water. Depends on my mood.

[Sgt. Hulka] Lighten up, Francis [/Sgt. Hulka]

You raised me up just to drop me from a greater height, didn’t you? That’s alright, I forgive. Stranahan’s Colorado is my absolute favorite, pretty much the only whiskey I’ve bought in the last year or drink anymore, ever since that first blessed sip. And straight out of the bottle, room temp, no ice, no water neat if you please.

ETA: For those of you who haven’t tried it yet, trust me (us, Gordon?) Stranahan’s is just plain marvelous. Around $51.00 in CO and $52.00 in TX.

For single malt scotch, a tiny bit of water – even a couple of drops – helps release more flavor. robcaro, I suggest you try it once. Taste the scotch straight; then add a few drops of water and see if it doesn’t taste better. There’s some sort of chemical reaction between the water and the scotch (I once knew what it was, but I’ve forgot) that improves flavor.

I totally agree about the ice, though. Ice (that is, coldness) overpowers your taste buds, so all you really taste is the cold. Subtle flavors are lost in something that’s too chilled.

(I was at a scotch-tasting party a couple of weeks ago, and picked up all this wonderous info.)

Oh, so slight hijack - for those who prefer single malts that have been aged in Port, Sherry, Rum or Bourbon casks, do you find that a bit of water brings out the other flavours?

One of my all-time, number one favourite with a bullet bottles was a Caol Ila that had been aged in a Sherry cask. Just heaven, that was…

I’m with you there, and it’s good to hear that wondrous elixer is found in the Lone Star State.