"Watermelon, cantalope, watermelon, cantalope, watermelon, cantalope..."

Wow…when I used to stage work it was “peas and carrots peas and carrots”.

Guess I am old :frowning:

I remember it as “natter, natter” and “grommish, grommish”…but my copy is in a box since we moved so I can’t look it up.

Well let me join the “old” club as that was always the phrase we were told to use in every play I was ever in.

There is also the episode of South Park in which the citizens of the town storm the mayor’s office. It sounds like generic chatter until the mayor says, “You’re not going to get anywhere just standing here all day saying ‘Rabble-rabble-rabble!’”

I had heard that rhubarb was used for crowd noise to suggest an angry mob, and that’s how the term rhubarb came to be used as a synomym for a quarrel or fight.

We were obviously exposed to the same source, as that’s my recollection, too. If I had a gun at my head, I’d say I heard it on some old radio quiz show. Back then, whatever urban legends there were held the same degree of authenticity as the ones now debunked on Snopes. For all I know, Crapper invented the toilet.

That was Memories of Me (1988), with Alan King as Abe, the King of the Extras. He’s introducing his son (Billy Crystal) to his fellow professional extras, in a Hollywood restaurant where they all hang out. One was an expert at “waller”, which Abe demonstrated by theatrically asking (more or less), as if in a courtroom: “And isn’t it true, Mr. Jones, that you were having an affair with both the victim and the defendant?”

Extras: gasp! waller-waller-waller-waller…
Similiarly, the Steve Martin comedy The Man With Two Brains had a scene where Martin, a neurosurgeon, is giving a presentation at a conference in Vienna. After one dramatic moment, when the crowd is murmuring excitedly:

Martin: What are they saying?
Interpreter: They are just saying ‘murmur, murmur, murmur.’
Martin: You mean it’s just sort of a general murmur?
Interpreter: Ja. Murmurmur.
Martin: Oh. [To the crowd] You may murmur all you like -
Crowd: [distinctly] Murmur, murmur, MURMUR, murmur, murmur…!

Hubbub works like rhubarb.

There’s also a scene in Waiting for Guffman where Fred Willard and Catherine O’Hara are supposed to be the excited crowd, but since it’s only the two of them, you can see them saying “hubbub hubbub”.

Well, i just hauled out my Alien DVD and watched the scene three times, and at no stage did any character look like he or she was saying “watermelon.”