WAZE - worse than before?

I use it every day. I’ve never had any problems with it. In fact, it’s saved me money by telling me where the revenooers are. We used it all the way to Texas and back home. 3600 miles and it got me everywhere I needed to go, either on the highway or in the city.

Two things:

1. To tell Waze that the hazard no longer exists you tap the button right next to the thumbs up button on the top-right of the screen. Or you can just ignore it and it will go away on its own since you’re already past it. I don’t mind false hazard warnings, though, because it makes me pay closer attention periodically. And really, isn’t that a good thing?

2. I want Elvis back, too. A-turn right, uh-huh.

I use Waze every day to get to and from work. I have noticed the slowly creeping ETA but I assumed it was reflecting traffic building as I drove.

My problem is that it suggests really tedious route changes to avoid minor slowdowns. For me, it frequently suggests routes that involve left turns onto major (4+ lanes), busy roads without a light. I’ve started previewing the route and avoiding those suggestions. About 50% of the time, the easier straight shot is the same or quicker. WTH, Waze?

By weird I mean, out of the way, don’t make sense, don’t save time, don’t give short cuts. You’d figure they’d at least give the obvious directions and some alternates that cut out time or miles, but the ones I was offered did not. Just some weird back roads that took me out of the way.

Actually, that’s something I’d forgotten about. It seems to have a hard time realizing that certain intersections are hell to turn from; leaving my building, I can turn right onto a side road, and then a block down, I can right onto a freeway access road. This turn is brutal; it’s usually faster to take a left and around the block, rather than try and turn right across 4 lanes of traffic right near another busy intersection.

Waze doesn’t really model this well- it ALWAYS tells me to go out and turn right, which is almost never a good decision.

Yep. And in some areas it’s worse on the weekends (during the summer) as beach traffic gets sent onto surface streets, turning some areas along Hwy 17 into gridlock.

The last major update for Waze changed the interface on the traffic hazard notification. I only see an option for thumb’s up now, not the “not there” option that used to be present. There may be a way to click around and find the “not there” option, but I’m driving and I don’t wanna. I would like the notifications to go away when there’s no longer a problem, because it’s annoying to get warned about something in the middle of a song or news story when that something isn’t even there.

I also appreciate that the app is crowd sourced. I’m in the Bay Area. On a light morning there might be 30K users on “in my area” when I start the app. Based on that, yes, I think that expecting the app to route me around a frickin’ tanker truck that’s over-turned and spilled everywhere that had the entire road closed (except for one lane) for 8 hours, is not unreasonable. The notion that Waze is working with city governments to keep resident complaints to a minimum makes this a little more understandable. I’m not sure what they’re called in other states, but in CA a SIG alert means the Highway Patrol wants you to stay the fuck away. I would think at least that level of information could be considered. Local radio manages it. Heck, my neighborhood Facebook page manages it.

Waze is an app that I use to help me get around traffic. Lately, it’s just a fail. I would also welcome suggestions for alternate apps.

Duplicate.