We have too many representatives!

Wait, what, someone agreed with me?

OK, yeah, my OP overreached. That’s kind of why I just sort of abandoned the thread.

But seriously, I completely ignore my county commissioners, & I’m at least nominally interested in politics.

I think having two state legislative chambers elected the same way is overkill. (If one were statewide at-large seats, & thus represented fluctuations in popular support rather than skillful gerrymandering, I could live with the second one having districts. For a while.)

I’m not for less representation. I’m for better representation. We proliferate representatives who diffuse attention, & don’t necessarily represent the common interest. Of course many of them are well-meaning & decent people who manage to do all right because of their own personal character. But some are just louses who get into the legislature by getting in with the party in a one-party district.

My feelings on this are evolving. I used to think the proliferation of gov’t levels in our culture (both through federalism & through the break between professional civil servants & elected officials) charming. I now worry it’s obstructionist. As I said in another thread,