We need a new "Candy" Holiday

Ice cream or sherbet sounds appropriate to me for a summer holiday. Maybe with a some artistic use of food dyes, they could come up with a blueberry, lemon, and strawberry flavoured combo of blue, white, and red coloured sherbet? Sort of like neopolitan ice cream?

You left out the tentative flirtations between the cousins and surreptitious peeks down the tops of the bathing suits of 8th -12th grade females by 6th grade to college senior males. And the underage older teens trying to snag some mint juleps of their own.

I was going to suggest a St. Colgate’s Day, the patron saint of dentists, but William Colgate was born on January 25th and died on March 25th.

Though is usually more of a winter brew, we could combine the two with a good chocolate porter.

For all those suggesting ice cream, howsabout a chocolate porter [del]root[/del] beer float.

Yeah, I know I’m a supergenius, combining all of those things into one yummylicious drink; though, unlike that other famous supergenious, I could catch a Road Runner if I tried to.

The opposite. I think we need a Semi-Sweet holiday, in which sweet foods are toned down a bit. I was recently offered a macaroon cookie. It was so sweet, it was more like candy, even though it was in a bakery box. We could do with ice cream, sodas, cakes, all sorts of nice flavored things in thich the basic flavor is not bashed over the head with sugar. My sweet snack is a bag of bitter-sweet chocolate chips, with half the sugar of a normal baking chocolate ship.

During the holidays, I bought whole cranberries, and cooked them, using less than half the sugar called for on the package. They were wonderful and refreshing.

Can I just say this is a great username/post combo?

Nobody’s mentioned Sweetest Day yet? Cleveland Dopers, you’re letting the side down. Although it is pretty much too close to Hallowe’en for the purposes of this thread.

Bahaha, I see what you did there. :smiley:

The best least known Summer holiday is St. Swithun’s Day: July 15th. It’s the Groundhog Day of Summer. If it rains on that date, then it’s 40 more days of rain. Better keep your candy dry.

This year, exactly halfway between Easter and Halloween is July 14. I propose we call it Pastille Day and celebrate by storming the candy shops and liberating the confections.

Niiiiiiiiice.
Additionally, the OP has overlooked May 5, Dia de Muertos, which is traditionally celebrated with Sugar Skulls and is also an excellent occasion to remind people that Chocolate is an Aztec invention.

Oooh! I love it!

The solution is actually in Dewey’s own post. Underline mine:

Ending a night of partying with a breakfast of chocolate con churros is pretty traditional in many Spanish locations. If in a beach location, said chocolate will ideally be consumed at the beach.

Those two holidays are at almost opposite ends of the calendar and of the celebratory spectrum. Cinco de Mayo celebrates a victory of Mexican troops over the French in the Napoleonic Wars and takes place indeed on May 5th; el Día de los Muertos is a traditional holiday which has become commingled with the Christian celebrations around November 1st (All Saints’ Day) and 2nd (Feast of All Deceased Faithful or of All Souls).

Commingling both is similar to saying that July 4th is Halloween…

there ya go!

I discovered or realized that years ago there were no more candy holidays from Easter to Halloween

Its almost a definite relief not to see all the specialized candy in every main aisle of the store.

I do have my holiday favorites that I cant have the rest of the year, coconut nests by Russell Stover are at the top of my list. I can rarely find them anymore but when I do…oh Heaven has arrived.

Yeah I have diabetes so by Easter it is a relief but that massive candy aisle is still there and I try desperately to avoid!

The devil provided that aisle and also those bad bad cookie/candy recipe books! :smack:

I wanted to leave the options open for “individual” family customising:D

Fuck me. You’re right. What the hell was I thinking? I must have blinded by my love of Mexican chocolate.

Everybody have some Macadamia Nut Chocolate Clusters on August 19th, Statehood Day in Hawaii.

Gilroy Garlic Festival, July 19th-20th! Yay!