We need a new show to watch, and apparently we're way too picky

A warning about The Good Place: one of the characters has a British accent, and another a very strong accent which probably is intended to be east-Asian of some sort. The show is excellent but the accents might be an obstacle for your wife.

You could try Community, or How I Met Your Mother. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt was fun for the first seasons.

and my wife can’t imagine watching with captions, it drives her nuts to have to read while watching.
I’m not bothered by accents myself, but I know any show with them is a non-starter for her.

forgot about that one…we did watch Community and loved it. Made it a few episodes into How I met Your Mother before quitting (again, too much relationship ‘humor’). And we had the same experience with Kimmy Schmidt…liked it in the beginning, but eventually got bored with it.

I hate watching with captions, especially comedy, because so much depends on timing and delivery, and if I already know what a character’s going to say before they say it, it kills the effect.

One or two characters with an accent is probably OK…but if it’s the whole cast, all the time, it wont’ work.

I’d rather read the captions than totally miss what was said.

You didn’t mention Modern Family. If you haven’t watched it, it would match your criteria and there’s only one character with an accent.

I did mention Modern Family. We liked it at first, but as the kids got older we found it less and less funny. Also, Gloria really annoyed my wife.

Weeds. Hilarious dark humor. No accents. There’s some growth involved, but only from “screwed up kids” to “seriously screwed up young adults”.

well, yes, if the only two options are to read captions or miss what was said, I’d agree. But the other option is to find a show that doesn’t require us to do either of those things.

forgot about Weeds…I think we watched the first few episodes when it came out and just kind of forgot about it. I don’t think we stopped watching because it was bad, just that we got busy (we had little children at the time, who are now much older and don’t monopolize our time as much).
Maybe we’ll go back and give it try–can’t remember what we though of it.

Oh, yeah … Better Off Ted! Only two seasons, cancelled far too soon, but a wickedly funny satire of corporatism. And Portia de Rossi is great in it. Given your other likes, I think you’d probably like this one, too.

I strongly recommend Better Off Ted. . . I think it would be a good fit with the stuff you guys like. Only 1 season though. Such a shame.

Hah. Two more votes for a Ted Danson show. I’ll put it on the list…but it’s hard to overestimate the hatred for Mr. Mayor in this house, and just how much that has put us off Ted (even though he shows up regularly on Curb Your Enthusiasm—but we’ve been watching that from the beginning, and he’s not the star)

Have you watched The League? It gets shaky towards the ending seasons but the first couple seasons were pretty golden.

we fell asleep watching the first episode a few weeks ago (not because it was boring; it was very late and we were both sick). Didn’t get far into it—but I had forgotten about it, so I’ll put that on the list to try again.

Your taste in TV comedies seems like it’s pretty in line with mine (although I found the premise of AP Bio ran out of steam fairly quickly). I would recommend the TV shows Corporate and Detroiters (although note that Detroiters has the same stars as I Think You Should Leave). Above all, my favourite TV comedy of all time is probably Delocated, especially season 2 which is solid gold.

Have you watched The Larry Sanders Show yet?

I haven’t watched any of those, never even heard of Delocated. So we’ll see if we can find it.

I also enjoyed the Amazon Prime show Upload although it skewed a little bit towards a less comedic thriller in the last couple of episodes. Mythic Quest on Apple+ is pretty good, too (with some of the same cast and writers from Always Sunny).

We don’t have Apple TV, and I’m already paying for enough services right now.
We may end up dropping Netflix though…it’s been a while since we’ve found anything good on there.