Weekly Comic Book Discussion 7/14/2005

Those singles are as good as yours, have no fear. I’m hanging onto the TPB for now, though. Just e-mail me whenever.

Bosco! That’s it, Bosco.

Still can’t recall the name of the Daily Planets society columnist however,…

Majestic #7 wraps up his current plot and sets up the next, and I continue to enjoy the title, which very much remidns me of Silver Age Superman - updated a little.

Thunderbolts #10 starts to cook with the Purple Man’s plot, and then gets sucked into the House of M crapfest on the last page.

Invincible #24 - Still one of the best Superhero books on the stands.

I wonder why Marvel keeps doing this—these weird, out-of-continuity multi-title ‘event’ things–saleswise, they always start off well then end up selling like crap by the end and they apparently lose a bunch of people who think “Who cares what happens–it’s not the storyline I was reading anyway” and (from what I’ve read) the numbers after the ‘event’ are lower than the numbers before the ‘event’–people use them as “jumping-off” points. (I do too).

The main reason people keep buying a book regardless of writer or artist is habit–sure, people will start buying a book based on a hot writer or artist, but it’s habit that keeps 'em buying it long after any talent has left the title. I collected Justice League and it took Vibe, Gypsy, Steel and Vixen to make me break the habit. Purposly creating a situation where people are forced to break the habit of buying a book (and hint: a book where none of the characters or storylines are the same is no longer the same book) is a dumb idea.

Other Marvel fiascos: Remember “Mute Month”? When no Marvel comic had any word balloons? Or Age of Apocolypse? Or…geez…there’ve been at least a few more…the one where we saw the Marvel comics published on Marvel Earth–and we found out that the writers were huge mutant-phobe bigots? :rolleyes:

Oh, and bad news, per my local comic shop guy, who’s got buddies at Marvel.

Guess what next year is?

The 10th Anniversary of the Clone thing. And apparently this month (this week?) some Spider-Handbook came out with page after page of info on the Clone story, including lots of “Where are they now” info.

Ew.

DC really has the right idea with the Infinite Crisis stuff. With a very few exceptions, each book is standing on it’s own, but can be seen as part of a large tapestry. AND you feel like what happens matters.

Freshmen #1: I haven’t seen powers this warped since The Tick. A psych major that can literally get inside your head, a vegan who can talk to plants, a stoned guy, a fat chick who can seduce people (I love her Seductress outfit. She looks like most of my ex-girlfriends.), a talking beaver, and more. This could be awesome. I have to read the next issue just to find out how the redhead fights crime with a giant schlong.

(2 and a half hours, 3 comic shops, and a fist fight* later)

Action Comics: Holy crap! I’m still complaining on principle, but this is an awesome storyline. I saw the big reveal coming though.

*That didn’t happen.

What I’ve read so far:

Mutopia X #1:

I’m one of the few people who’s enjoying House of M.

Although I liked this one, it did leave me a little baffled, since I don’t read District X, and I’m not sure if some of the people Ortega and Bishop (Lucas? When’d that come out?) deal with a regular characters or if they exist only in World of M.

Still…I like HoM.

Guardian #3:

How…very strange. Only one issue left to wrap this up? Hmmm…I fear a little for issue 4. Was a so-so issue, all told. Liked the bit with his lady, thought the superheroics were fun, if a touch underdeveloped, and I was worried by the ending the ending.

AS Batman #1:

I knew ‘Miller writing Batman’ wasn’t a good sign (I didn’t like DKR, although I haven’t read Year One.).

I was right. Nothing was good. Am I the only one who thought Bruce came across a little…creepy in his attention to Dick? Alfred and Vicki were both annoying as hell.

I just picked up a copy of Daisy Cutter from Cobra Comics.

A fun manga graphic novel, with cowboys, robots & giant combat mecha. Also, a very original Western heroine named, quite obviously, Daisy Cutter.

I’m not going to say I particularly like the House of M stuff. I am intrigued though. Fenris’ rumor post from last week had me interested enough to buy issues 1 and 2. It’s interesting that no matter what’s going on with reality, Emma Frost still dresses like a slut.

I’m not sure if this gives away anything, but I’ll box it up just in case.

Wolverines little wakey wakey is interesting. $10 says that since his enhanced senses give him a better grasp of reality than the rest of his teammates, he’ll at least spend the storyline muttering about how “somethin’ ain’t right” or somesuch like that. Betcha Spideys sense leads him to the same conclusion.

It’s also good to see that Mystique is still a pretty big whore.

Speaking of Mystique the whore, she pops up in X-Men 172 with a wacky plan to fix the relationship problems between Gambit and Rogue. Things are getting tense since they can’t ahem enjoy each others company due to Rogues powers and Gambits raging herpes.

She shows up as Foxx, a hot little teenaged number and gets assigned to Gambits squad. She spends a good deal of time trying to seduce him. When that doesn’t work, she reveals herself and her plan. To release the tension between Gambit and Rogue, she’s going to help Gambit…ummm…release some tension. He doesn’t bite for Foxx or regular Mystique, so she changes forms into Rogue and tells him “But this is different. This is Rogue. It won’t be like cheating.” :eek: What a great mother in law she’s going to be.

Man I miss the good old days when comics were about people with amazing powers beating the crud out of each other. This issue was way to Melrose Place for me.

[QUOTE=Harborwolf]

Wolverines little wakey wakey is interesting. $10 says that since his enhanced senses give him a better grasp of reality than the rest of his teammates, he’ll at least spend the storyline muttering about how “somethin’ ain’t right” or somesuch like that. Betcha Spideys sense leads him to the same conclusion.

Actually, shouldn’t it be the exact opposite? Wolverine is not known for being a deep thinker–he’s saved the day from complicated illusions dozens of times because he believes what his senses not his brain is telling him. How many times has he shish-kabobed an illusionist or shape-changer 'cause he trusted his senses? Given that whatever’s going on is reality not an illusion (remember the problems he had with Proteus?) he should be the least likely to be aware of a problem

More reading done:

Rann-Thanagar War #3:

Is anyone surprised by Komand’r’s actions?

Thought not. I have a feeling the Tamaranians are going to be more of a hinderance than a help in this, with her in charge.

Loving on the Durlan ships, though.

NYX #6:

Been waiting FOR-FREAKING-EVER for this. There’s no way to wrap this up satisfactorally in one issue. I just hope sales on this, the essentials, and issue 7 are high enough to make Marvel reconsider cancelling it…

Aside from the disappointment over the cancelation, I enjoyed the issue. I’d like to see Felon and Tatiana used elsewhere if they don’t restart NYX.

Re: Wolvie and the House of M: the way I’ve heard it, the world is all about wish fulfillment. What is Wolverine’s greatest wish? To remember who he is and where he comes from. From what I understand, this world is gonna give it to him, and THAT is how he’s going to know that things aren’t kosher.

A vanishingly minor and petty observation, but…

As someone who was never a huge fan of Marvel Comics as a child, I am still reeling from the revelation, on page 5 of New Avengers #7, that Black Bolt’s real name is in fact “Blackagar Boltagon.” :eek:

BLACKAGAR BOLTAGON?!

As Daffy Duck said, *"Shoot me now! Shoot me now! I * demand that you shoot me now!"

Next month, in New Avengers #8:

IRON MAN: Steve, you don’t have to do this…

CAPTAIN AMERICA: Yes, damn it! I’m not going to let this team be torn apart by secrets! I…I want you all to know that “Steve Rogers” was just a pseudonym I used back in art school. My real birth name was “Captainacles Americapolous.”

That theory keeps popping up, and in light of what we’ve been shown, it doesn’t work.

Spoilers for HoM, HoM Spiderman, and HoM Iron Man:

[spoiler] Peter Parker wanted to lose everything that currently gives his life meaning (MJ and heroism)? He wanted Norman Osborne, while alive, to still be a slightly psychotic and unethical businessman? He wanted to be an intolerable ass? (Although Ben and Gwen still being alive is probably something he wanted.)

Steve Rogers wanted to be a sad old man made fun of by the neighbourhood kids? A normal life, sure, but if he wanted to be an old man, you’d think there’d be a ‘wife of 50 years, and a few grandkids’ deal involved. Or at least a little respect for their elders from the neighbourkids.

Tony Stark wanted to be a frikkin’ GLADIATOR whose father was helping opress humanity?

Henry Pym wanted to be humiliated and downtrodden?

The X-Men and Avengers wanted Mutants to be oppressing the ‘Sapiens’?

No…anyone other than Magneto being given what they wanted just doesn’t work. [/spoiler]

It also requires a major glitch in Wanda’s thinking/powers not to plug that hole.

As I said, his senses give him a better grasp of reality than most. It’s not a matter of deep thought. He is more aware of the world around him on an instinctual level. Thusly, he would be more aware that something is rotten in Denmark. In fact, I think the HoM storyline takes him there for the entire run.

Man does it feel odd to reply to a black box with a black box.

Terrifel:

This actually comes from the old “Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe” way back in the 80’s.

Ah, yes…good…So I wasn’t the only one who thought it was creepy. (Just realised I hadn’t gone back to read the comments I’d skipped until I’d finished reading my own copies. >_>)

Seriously. I really expected Vicki Vale to back slowly away from Bruce at that revelation. Instead, it just made him more attractove to her. Wow. Either Frank Miller or I really don’t understand women. (OK, that’s not fair, I know I don’t understand women, and I suspect Miller doesn’t understand women who aren’t some variation on ninja hooker :wink: )

Grown men, unless circus professionals, do not cultivate interests in limber pre-pubescent boys. It just ain’t healthy. Even knowing that he was looking at the kid as an apprentice/heir, it’s still creepy. Batman isn’t so heartless as to draft a child into his private crusade. Accept one, sure, but not like that!

I was also wary of Miller getting this book (I like DKR, but I think it’s a bit overrated, and Year One was awesome, but it’s also more about Gordon than Batman), but I got my hopes up when I learned that Robin would be so prominent. Nope. It just makes Batman look so much more monstrous.

No kidding. And it almost looked like she was going to until the little ‘boy, do I love him’ narration.

Love that line.

The fact that there’s a LOT of truth to it is one of the major reasons I was very wary.

Has Frank Miller ever really spelled out what the deal is with his take on Batman’s crusade? The last page of All-Star Batman #1 goes out of its way to echo Dark Knight Returns (that’s it, try to capture that lightning again, Frank), having Batman once again describe Robin as a soldier drafted into a war. This continued, overt military analogy seems a bit strained coming from a character who refuses to use deadly force. For whatever reason, Frank Miller seems to take the “war on crime” metaphor much more literally than the character seems to warrant, having Batman driving a tank, and using riot guns and knives to attack criminals. (Was Frank Miller in fact the originator of the bat-shuriken gimmick? I don’t remember for certain, but I’d guess so.)

I never got around to finishing the sequel to DKR, so maybe this point was addressed more fully therein. I had heard through the grapevine that the sequel was rather unkind to the character of Dick Grayson, and given that All-Star Batman is apparently not in continuity, is Frank Miller possibly writing this series as a Lucas-like prequel to his DKR universe?

In any event, I figure even odds that Superman gets beaten up within the next two issues.

Cat Grant.