Weird references in vintage cartoons

Earlier drafts of the original The Jungle Book had the four vultures doing a Beatles-style version of their song - you can hear a recording of it here (ignore the fan video). I think we can agree the barbershop version they ended up with aged a lot better

I wonder how much Warner Bros. executives thought about producing classic cartoons with enduring appeal, as opposed to just pleasing audiences of the day.

In the '50s, those in charge of TV networks thought that people like Jackie Gleason and Desi Arnaz were crazy for wanting to film their shows. “Nobody’s gonna want to watch the same thing twice!”

Disney supposedly tried to get the Beatles but the Fab Four couldn’t fit the movie into their schedule.

Similar to that …watching Rebel Without A Cause and trying to take it seriously when Jim Backus is playing James Dean’s father and I can’t stop thinking of Thurston Howell III from Gilligan’s Island

Or Mr. Magoo.

If you do ever see the movie, pay attention to the man Bogart’s talking to in the scene for some bonus trivia.

I’m pretty sure it was 100% the latter. Being popular with audiences fifty years from now doesn’t help when you have bills due last Friday.

A very young Robert Blake (aka “Beretta”), if I recall correctly. Or are you thinking of someone else?

Or in reverse, anything involving William Shatner after Star Trek is unwatchable. Captain Kirk makes a lousy cop, lawyer, or lecher. Hell, he’s doing ads on TV right now for a CPAP machine cleaner. Sorry, Jim, I’m not buying it.

That’s not what the thread is about, but once folks get typecast then all their work, both earlier and later, is forever tainted. It’d be funny to find something Shatner did pre-Trek. Wiki lists a surprisingly long list of shows & movies he played a role in.

I take it you’ve never seen the unsold Alexander the Great pilot? If not, you’re in for a real treat! :grin:

Actually, Disney has done pop culture and current star references, just not as often as Warner Brothers. Their cartoon Mother Goose Goes Hollywood predates Warner Brothers’ Hollywood Steps Out by three years, and is filled with Hollywood caricatures – many of them ones that W-B used

And let’s not forget Robin Williams’ many impersonations in Aladdin, which were rendered into cartoon caricatures of Groucho Marx, Peter Lorre, William F. Buckley Jr., Rodney Dangerfield, and Jack Nicholson. Williams bragged that he’d turned a Disney cartoon into a Warner Brothers cartoon, evidently unaware of Mother Goose Goes Hollywood.

The end of The Sword in the Stone, by the way, features a play on a then-popular Pepsi commercial. Or so I’m told. I haven’t been able to figure it out.

Note these refs became much more rare as the series moved into the 50’s & 60’s.

But there is a Twitter joke. Think Twitter will still be around in 2100?

I haven’t seen it, but before Star Trek William Shatner was in a horror movie called Incubus. An interesting feature of the movie is all the dialog is in Esperanto. (In case hearing Shatner mispronounce Esperanto is on your bucket list.)

Bugs Bunny is a goldmine for obscure pop culture references.

…which is akin to accepting William Bendix of “Life of Riley” fame as a gangster, a role he took on in multiple movies, or even worse, Zero Mostel as a sleazy hood in “Panic In The Streets”, a movie about an outbreak of pneumonic plague in New Orleans which also starred Richard Widmark as the good guy (a bit jarring if you associate Widmark with his performance as a giggling hood who pushes a wheelchair-bound victim down a flight of stairs).

“Baseball Bugs” (1946) has quite a few:

“I’m only ninety-three-and-a-half years old!”
“Does your tobacco taste different lately?”
“Was this trip really necessary?”
“That’s what the man said! You heard what he said! He said that!”

…and one I still haven’t identified. Just before Bugs’ last pitch, a male chorus is heard singing “What’s the score, boys? What did Bugs Bunny do? What’s with the carrot league baseball today?” Was this a reference to some 40s ad jingle?

Enjoy! :slight_smile:

I think I only got half the joke too. What am I missing?

I was going to start The Esperanto Club at my school (which would’ve been me and Jimmy McGinty and no one else), so I know a few phrases.

But now I can’t read them without hearing Shatner’s “novel” cadences…

Mia KU…sen…veTUREEELO estaaas plena… da ANG…iloj!

(“Will someone get these motherfukkin’ eels outa my motherfukkin’ hovercraft?!”)

There’s that but this person appears twice.