Weird things to be loyal to

a quote that seems appropriate in this thread.

Somebody asked what things women to which women are loyal. Usually revolves around shoes, purses and makeup. Shocking, I know.

My loyalties are: Maybelline Very Black Mascara, Bare Minerals Makeup and Born footwear.

I also am loyal to Colgate toothpaste.

I’m out of the loop fashion-wise any more but back in middle and high school, the brand of shoes that you wore was something that you had to be prepared to defend. The two big ‘teams’ at my school were Nike and Reebok.

It seemed bizarre then and only more so looking back.

Waking up and going through my usual routine this morning, I noticed another: Coffee. There are people (like The Mother) who will only buy one brand, say Folgers, yet if someone else makes coffee, say with another brand, she will fail to notice the difference.

Seconded. I’ve mentioned in other threads being harassed by people in my region just because people up here tend to be fans of USC (UCLA is closer). I never really cared that much about the rivalry until random people started coming up to me in the middle of Wal-Mart to mouth off to me for daring to wear my sweatshirt.

Editions of Dungeons and Dragons. People can be horrifyingly obnoxious to one another over which rules variant they prefer.

Reminds me of a favorite quote: politics are so nasty in academics because the stakes are so low.

Daniel

If a woman finds a hairdresser she likes, nobody else will do. I should know, next week I’m getting my hair done by a gal who first cut it twenty eight years ago.

Looking at my Location, you might see this coming. Indiana University in Bloomington once was ruled by a basketball coach named Bobby Knight. He had a long, glorious run at IU. He didn’t break recruiting rules. He drove his players mercilessly to win games and to make their grades. He was always right, and he was often a pure, arrogant asshole. He’s a disturbed man.

You could see people everywhere with IU sweatshirts, caps, license plates, etc. St. Bobby was worshipped all over the state, by people who never went to college, hell, even by people whose kids went to other schools!

When IU came to their senses and fired Knight, many of his flock were outraged. He was hired at Texas Tech, and thousands of Bobbyites threw out their IU gear, and they started wearing Texas Tech stuff. :rolleyes:

Many people I know who smoke are absolutely militant about their brand of cigarettes.

Me? I’m completely loyal to Lloyd Grossman Pasta Sauces if I’m too lazy to make my own. Tasty like no other! Can’t stand Lloyd Grossman though.

Canon cameras are another one. And I always buy grapefruit juice over other juices! Unadulterated grapefruit juice is the best.

My two-year adventure in Ohio confirms that people are absolutely rabid about small-town high school football. And some team called OSU? :wink:

HP12c or TI BAII

If you’re out of Bud Lite, you’re out of beer. If you’re out of Miller Lite, you’re out of business.

In World of Warcraft, the Horde versus Alliance divide is pretty strong, even out of game.

Someone mentions WoW.
Me: Oh, you play WoW?
Him: Yeah.
Me: I’ve got a blood elf mage on Shadowsong. How about you?
Him: I’ve got a dwarf shadow pr–
Me: Get the hell away from me.

I am ferociously loyal to Teva flip flops. If anyone ever comments on them, I interpret that as an invitation to jump up on my soapbox and begin preaching about their merits. If we are at my house, I insist on making other women try them out. I have converted the entire street of women at my parents’ house, as well as the majority of my friends. They are little pillows designed for your feet. They are a walking foot orgasm. I cannot stress this enough. They are so. damn. goooood.

Buy them. That is all.