Weirdest Top 10 Singles

“Batdance” by Prince, hit #1 :confused:

“This Town Ain’t Big Enough For The Both Of Us” by Sparks (UK #2) wins, hands down.

“Spill The Wine” - War. (#3 - US). Very trippy.
“Bohemian Rhapsody” - Queen (#9 - US). Sure, now it’s a classic rock staple, but in the era of disco and easy listening, it was pretty damn oddball.
“Mack the Knife” - Bobby Darin (#1!) Bertolt Brecht and Kurt Weill top the charts?

“Pass the Dutchie” hit #10 in 1982

Hm…Chacarron Macarron got to number 20, so not quite.

One hell of a weird song, though.

How about One Week by the Barenaked Ladies? The verses in that song are so strange that even after reading them I still have no idea what he’s going on about.

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

I’d say “One Night in Bangkok,” a song from a musical which makes no sense whatsoever outside the context of that musical.

What about “White & Nerdy” by Weird Al Yankovic which reached #9 on the Billboard charts? He is the personification of "weird’.

Weirdest song I ever heard, right there.

:d

Wow - that charted top ten? Good for him!

2:29 - 2:52.

Apparently, that is what happens when you accidently hit the “post quick reply” button without clicking on one of the Quick Reply icons first. Live & learn.

“Gimme Dat Ding” by Pipkins (1970): An opening sort-of-rap followed by a sort-of-ragtime piano break

“Hocus Pocus” by Focus (1973): Mixing rock guitar with flute wasn’t that weird, considering this was the age when Jethro Tull was at its commercial peak; but when they added yodelling…

Ernie - The Fastest Milkman In The West

You get my vote. I think the weirdest thing is people ever claimed the song was not about cannibalism.

No, your link is even weirder.
The Mystery of Edwin Drood? Cannibalism and Dickens?

If we’re not limiting this to songs that charted in the U.S., I’ll nominate “Jeannie” by Falco. Almost unheard of in the U.S., but topped the charts in much of Europe, and even hit #5 in Japan.

“Poke Salad Annie” or “Polk Salad Annie” is a 1969 song written and performed by Tony Joe White. It was recorded in Muscle Shoals, AL. Its lyrics describe the lifestyle of a generic Southern girl. Traditionally, the term to describe the type of food highlighted in the song is “poke salad.” Its 1969 single release peaked at #8 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Same guy who gave us “Rainy Night in Georgia,” in fact.

The Beatles win this easily, both with songs with atypical subject matter (Paperback Writer, Eleanor Rigby, Yellow Submarine), and with songs that are just plain weird (Strawberry Fields, I Am the Walrus).