Weirdest Top 10 Singles

Sky Pilot is another song with weird subject matter. Good anti-war song.

Purple People Eater Hit #1 in 1958. I always liked that the song addresses the two possible interpretations of “purple people eater.”

Monster Mash Hit the charts in 1962, and again in 1970 and 1973.

Brand New Heavies.

‘Sing your Camel to sleep’

Or, for that matter, The New Seekers’ I’d Like To Teach The World To Sing (In Perfect Harmony), which was a Coca-Cola jingle with the references to Coke removed.

The Jaynetts’ Sally Go 'Round the Roses, a #2 hit from 1963.

Teenage lesbian affair gone horribly wrong? Mind shattered by a powerful religious vision? You make the call!

Spooky fuckin’ song.

Weirder still is picturing “Dumbledore #1” singing it.

I’d have to nominate Blue Swede’s cover of Hooked on a Feeling, just because of that stupid HOOOGA CHAKKA thing they did.

Bloodrock’s D.O.A. charted at #36, or it would be right up there too…

Did “Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer” ever chart?

You think the song is funny…until you actually listen to it.

And even if it didn’t chart it comes back to haunt us once a year.

My grandmother played that song nonstop from December 1 until December 23. Really, her record player had the auto-resart feature, so it just kept playing. It was very traumatizing for me every weekend when I would stay with her during that timeframe. shudder

Never big in the US and I don’t know why. OK, I know, not being an idiot and knowing what the US market likes, but I was a massive Sparks fan then and now. Same with Slade. And The Sweet. And Suzi Quatro, while we are in the "S"es, though that was because she looked like a girl I wanted to have relations with. And because she sang Chapman and Chinn Instant Hits.

Nothing Compares To You

Dead Skunk In The Middle of the Road- Loudon Wainwright.

I just remember dancin’ and groovin to Da-do-ron-ron and The Grease soundtrack on Thanksgiving. We used to fuck it up.

It was like watching a secret clip of Dan Quayle when he thought the cameras were off.

It wasn’t me, my female cousins inundated me with the Cassidy and Grease, it was girl stuff… but they made me dance. Women ask for the baubly legs, I give it.

The song is not particularly weird, but the video is the weirdest one I ever see:
I Like You, by One Track Mind. Remember it? It’s the one with the stuffed dog playing trumpet. And the dancer smelling her armpits. And the hypnotic spinning disc.

Wow, 2 pages and no mention of “Surfin’ Bird” by The Trashmen? Peaked at #4, definitely up there on the weird scale.

Another one I always bring up on these “weird music” threads is “Run Joey Run” by David Geddes. Peaked at #4 in 1975, and probably the only song to cover teen pregnancy, child abuse and murder–all in 3 minutes!

Tiptoe Through the Tulips by Tiny Tim

#6, 1974.

Peaked at 25.

Disco Duck: 25 weeks in the top 100, peaked at #1.

Strangely enough, Surfin’ Bird is actually going through a bit of a renaissance (at least iTunes sales are going up), thanks to a bizarre running gag on a recent episode of Family Guy. Indeed, everybody’s heard about the bird.