Well, damn, credit card hacked!

IIRC AK84 lives in Pakistan.

When this happened to me, I had to complete a form and mail it to them. They just wanted something with an actual signature.

Yup. I have never ever had to fill out a form before, its all on the phone or online. Even here, the blocking of the card and the sending of a new one was done on the phone. I juts had to write wrt the disputed charges.

Per the bank manager, the requirment of written notice for disputing transactions is a US one:dubious: and is being done since the charges relate to a payment to an online foreign, US based account, one which has been used legitamatley by me before.

I came away feeling he did not really know the what and the why.

What Bank Are You Using ???

I’ve had my CC number spoofed in India. I hadn’t been top India or ordered anything from India. Bank said it was random,. Good times.

Standard Chartered.

I was replying to Northern Piper, who’s in Canada.

Standard Chartered is a British bank; you’re using a Pakistani branch & the manager did something that is not only allowable but specifically written in the code even if it is not necessarily required for a US account based upon a txn from a merchant in the US.

I’ve worked in international banking; I didn’t necessarily know the ins & outs of a foreign countries legal requirements. The manager wasn’t that far off base; I’d give him an A for knowing foreign regulations rather than an F for your perceived misinterpretation of them.

So the take away is that disputing a foreign charge may be more complicated than a domestic one & internal bank policy might mandate written requests for US merchants?

Years ago, before on-line banking was common, I received a call one evening from the fraud department of my bank. “Are you planning a trip? We have a pending transaction of some $5,000 with Continental Airline.”

“Um, no. I’m not even sure they fly out of Phoenix,” (Turns out they did.)

She verified my last few purchases on the card then cancelled it, letting those go through. Easy peasey. We did have a discussion about how they thought they would get away with it, since you got to show up at the airport with an ID to fly. The only thing we could figure would be a cancellation refund before the airline could react but it would have to go to another card.