Well...here goes... [Pride in How One Dresses]

It is indeed a thing, has been for some time.

Anti:

http://hubpages.com/literature/Pajamas-in-Public-Why

Pro:

Because you get more ladies that way (just kidding; I know you’re married). Anyway, I think they’re the cat’s pajamas but I’m not talking mandatory hats here; I just wish it was more acceptable.

I remember reading an article by a woman reminiscing about this period.When she was a girl she had an accident, I think a broken arm while bike riding. Her father rushed out to help her, but not, she at the time noted ruefully, before putting on a coat and tie, because he couldn’t appear in public, even for an emergency, without proper attire.

It is important to dress neatly and be properly groomed. They need to make more educational films promoting this. For some reason there’s been a dearth of them lately.

Recently I had to have minor day surgery and the Dr. advised me to wear something baggy, such as sweats or pajamas.Which is weird because this was oral surgery but I digress. . . I don’t own any sweats so all that left me with was some mens plaid pajama bottoms (hey it was that or SpongeBob). I could not believe I was walking out of my house in them, and it’s not like anyone but the dental staff and the car driver was going to see me. It’s just so ingrained in me that it’s WRONG, even though I’m sure no one would have given me a second glance.

I think we put too high a premium on work clothes, especially when there is a uniform involved. I fly planes for a living, and when I was in the airlines had to wear the standard “monkey suit”, as I called it. White shirt, tie, epaulets showing rank (captain / first officer), black slacks and dress shoes.

I hated it.

A uniform in that business is necessary to distinguish crew members from passengers. But the first thing I always did as soon as the cockpit door shut was undo my tie. Ties are stupid and uncomfortable, especially in summer.

When I moved into flying private jets I was thrilled to learn our company uniform would be kahki pants and a polo shirt. The company picked those deliberately so we would be more comfortable. They saw it as a fatigue issue, and I agree. Also no epaulets - the captain and first officer are indistinguishable, which I feel is more egalitarian.

I’ve been watching through the old Adventures of Superman shows from the 1950s, and I always chuckle to see that even the crooks, when they are robbing banks, kidnapping people, or engaging in other evil activities, are invariably dressed in suits, ties and hats.

Note to self: invest in good pair of light warmup pants.

Meanwhile a hat can be practical if you’re going to be outside in the sun or rain and if so you might as well wear one you feel good about.

Dammit, I miss spats! And woolen slacks in August.

[quote=“Cardigan, post:44, topic:744910”]

It is important to dress neatly and be properly groomed. They need to make more educational films promoting this. For some reason there’s been a dearth of them lately.

[/QUOTE]

Define “important.”

My wife says if I have to ask her if a particular shirt has too many stains, then the answer is yes. I wear expensive suits to court. I own about 6 that currently fit. Some cost over $2,500. When I’m not in court, it’s tennis shoes, jeans, and a shirt that doesn’t have too many stains. There are plenty of other lawyers for clients that want a sharp dresser.

Exactly what I was going to say. My office used to be directly across from a large lecture hall, stepping out the door in the 10-15 minutes prior to class start time it often looked like a slumber party in progress.

As I said before, I don’t mind people dressing however they choose, but cleanliness is important. Many times at the start of the semester I would step out my office door, wave my hand in front of my face and say “here is your new student PSA, Axe body spray is NOT a substitute for a shower”.

That reminds me of a short newspaper article I just read the other day. A PA county district court just posted a sign advising people that pajamas are not appropriate attire for the courtroom. Hard to believe such a sign is needed, but I doubt the judge came up with it preemptively.

Pajamas are clearly becoming acceptable in dollar stores and Walmart, as well as college campuses, but that’s about it outside of one’s home, I’d say.

One thing we forget is that casual clothes have gotten more comfortable.

Jeans used to be heavy - not the spandex infused clothes of today or even the lighter weight jeans fabric of the 1960s. They were made to wear like iron through heavy labor - that meant that they didn’t necessarily have a ton of give. Lighter weaves of cotton, more like todays khakis, were more comfortable.

It took WWII to bring us the fabric revolution that makes the clothes we think of as comfortable today actually comfortable. Then it took another twenty years for them to lose the smell of grease and manure.

My grandmother’s wore house dresses - not tight waisted Donna Reed dresses - for daily wear. They didn’t leave the house/neighborhood except a few times a week - church, grocery shopping. My grandfathers both wore coveralls for work.

I’ve posted this before in threads on this very subject. I believe it bears repeating:

"Sweatpants are a sign of defeat. You lost control of your life so you bought some sweatpants.”
- Carl Lagerfeld

Actually, in most tech jobs, if you turn up wearing a suit people will think you’re a clueless management dweeb (or worse, wannabe management dweeb) and will have a hard time listening to anything technical that you say. Same if you turn up at a factory or construction site, they’ll think you’re some management type and act polite to your face but ignore what you say.

I’ve been on both sides of the spectrum and this cuts both ways. “Management types” (including those of us who’ve come up through the ranks) look upon most technical guys like replaceable drones in washed out rumpled khakis.

Ignorance fought! But it looks like he took the oath and made his address while bare-headed. And hatters blamed him for making hats less fashionable, so he started carrying one. But he refused to.wear white tie and tails, despite protests from the formalwear industry.

[quote=“DeepLiquid, post:51, topic:744910”]

Exactly what I was going to say. My office used to be directly across from a large lecture hall, stepping out the door in the 10-15 minutes prior to class start time it often looked like a slumber party in progress.

As I said before, I don’t mind people dressing however they choose, but cleanliness is important. Many times at the start of the semester I would step out my office door, wave my hand in front of my face and say “here is your new student PSA, Axe body spray is NOT a substitute for a shower”.
[/QUOTE/]

Adults had to be told that. That is just unbelievable. Adults. Had. To Be. Told. To. Shower. Just…eww. Ugh. :eek: :smack: :mad:

As an Ontario lawyer, I have to wear a robe in Court - but I have never considered showing up in a bathrobe. :smiley:

I’ve seen some of the opposite - some management types will only believe technical info if the guy looks scruffy. They still want to talk to the suit-wearer most of the time, but if you’re trying to convince them there’s a technical reason you can’t do something then you get a scruffy guy in jeans to deliver the news.

Also: WierdCollection - just plain mad stuff!