Well-known groups that spawned more than one popular solo artist

Well, there’s Sting from The Police.

More than one popular solo artist is the title of the thread. :wink:

All four members of The Who did solo albums.

Grace Slick, Paul Kantner and Marty Balin of the Jefferson Airplane each did albums between stints with the group.

Eddie kendricks and David Ruffin of The Temptations both had solo careers which included some hits.

The merry-go-round of female members shuffling through Broken Social Scene have or are currently all making splashes in hipster circles. Leslie Feist and Emily Haines both broke out. The former releasing music under the name Feist and the letter both going solo and fronting a second band, Metric. Amy Millan is starting to make some solo noise, too.

Wakeman had a more significant hit earlier with The Six Wives of Henry VIII, which was on a lot of people’s Significant Records of the Year when it came out. He also scored big with Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. He;s put out quite a bit since, but nothing as big. And he’s scored at least four flicks.

Not Mayall’s Bluesbreakers – the only one on that list that had any reputation before Mayall was Eric Clapton. It only looks like an all-star lineup.

Buffalo Springfied – in addition to Stills and Young, it included Jim Messina (of Loggins and . . . ; he joined the group for their second and third albums) and Richey Furay of Poco

The James Gang – Joe Walsh, Dominic Troioano, and Tommy Bolin had some solo success.

Soft Machine – Robert Wyatt, Kevin Ayers, Daevid Allen, and Hugh Hopper

The Mugwumps – Cass Elliot, Denny Doherty, and Zal Yanovski

Rising Sons – Ry Cooder and Taj Mahal (and for a short time, Ed Cassidy of Spirit).

Return To Forever - Chick Corea, Al Di Meola

The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Dave Brubeck, Paul Desmond

Ok, I’ve heard “Holiday Road” song, just never knew who sang it. The others, nope. Some of you are naming popular groups and solo artist combos where I’ve never heard of the group or solo artists. :dubious: But that’s just me.
I guess the gauge of what is popular or successful is going to vary depending on what country you live in, among other factors. My gauge was sort of, if you’re not on a “Greatest Hits of the ?0’s” compilation album, you’re not that popular! :slight_smile:
What Exit, I’m 30-something but I don’t really have a primary music interest. I like rock, country, metal, goth, punk, oldies, alternative, etc. No New Age, no jazz except Squirrel Nut Zippers if you call them jazz. My knowledge of 60’s, 70’s, and 80’s music is mainly country, pop, and the slice of “classic rock” they play over and over on the radio.

Wow, I never realized that. Consider ignorance fought. I thought that was an all star assemblage.

Thank you,
Jim

30 posts in, just about everyone I thought of has been mentioned.

One that I thought of immediately when I saw the Thread title, one that I’m surprised hasn’t already come up in 30 posts:

The Fugees: Wyclef Jean, Lauryn Hill

David Gilmour and Roger Waters of Pink Floyd both did a couple solo albums each. They’re kinda sucky though.

Miles Davis launched too many careers to count.

John Mayall’s group was considered the proving ground for UK musicians, especially guitarists who cut their teeth on blues, in the '60s. The manhas a better claim to the title of Father of Rock than anyone, even though he himself is an unknown to the general public.

“Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking” was pretty good and fairly successful. None of Gilmour’s or Syd Barrett’s solo work did very well. I actually liked some of it however.

control-z: Much of Classic Rock that was a hit, was album oriented and gets little play on Classic Rock stations these days. The responses to your thread are heavy on Classic Rock and I think that is why you have not heard of many of the examples.

Jim

Scuse me? All three of David Gilmour’s solo albums went at least Top 40 in both the U.S. and the U.K. On an Island hit #1 in the U.K. and #6 in the U.S. And then there’s the school of thought that everything Pink Floyd has released since Momentary Lapse of Reason has been David Gilmour solo albums…

Were most of these successful solo artists? I know Johnny Marr had an album recently, but damned if I can name a song off it. Likewise, I know Can, Beat Happening, and Tangerine Dream, but can’t think of any of their members having a successful solo career in the context of the OP.

I would almost say the Pixies, but Frank Black & the Catholics wasn’t terribly successful chart-wise, and The Breeders (or the Amps) might not qualify as a solo effort by Kim Deal.

Deep Purple had a bunch of people who went on to have memorable musical careers (both solo and with other bands), including Joe Satriani, David Coverdale, Ritchie Blackmore, Ian Gillan, but, once again I’m not sure anyone except Satriani would qualify as successful in a solo context.

Uncle Tupelo spawned both Son Volt and Wilco, which, while technically groups, were (or developed into) bands there to support the central figure, Jay Farrar and Jeff Tweedy respectively. Plus, Jay has done solo albums and Jeff has done some solo tours, so I’d call that a successful solo career in both cases.

Yeah, a lot of replies stretching the definition of “well-known” and “successful” to breaking point, not to mention “solo”.

In that vein, how about Bryan Ferry and Brian Eno of Roxy Music? Because I’m not sure if I would really consider Eno to be a successful solo performer.

Ooo. That’s a good one. I would definitely consider Eno to be successful. He seems to be a three-letter answer in the New York Times crossword almost every week, at least. :slight_smile: One of his albums My Life in the Bush of Ghosts, made the top 50 of the Billboard Pop Album charts (peaking at #44). Plus Another Green World and Music for Airports are considered among the most important electronic/ambient works.