Were sleeve derringers ever a thing?

Eats shoots and leaves.

Maverick had one.

That sleeve gun was a .32 acp…not exactly a barn-burner of a round. Of course, it was designed to be used while the muzzle was in physical contact with the target, so there would be additional damage from powder gases being blown into the wound. Even so, the muzzle would have had to be in contact with the target’s head, and in a specific area at that, in order to achieve an instant and silent kill. If the muzzle wasn’t placed to switch off the CNS, there’d be a lot of awkward thrashing and screaming and bleeding and maybe even some fighting back on the part of the target. I’m trying to come up with a scenario where the shooter achieves that muzzle placement and where the sleeve thing is also advantageous. Frankly, I’m having trouble envisioning a chain of events where a more conventional silenced pistol would not be preferable.

Perhaps they were given to locals. :dubious:

Who then did what with them?

Shot a Nazi officer or turncoat and got caught.

When I was a kid, I had the Old West series from Time/Life book. I remember seeing such a rig in the volume about gamblers, but don’t have access to the books anymore.

The ring gun, the punch-percussion gun, even a false hand gun for amputees. But never a sliding forearm gun.

A spring-loaded sleeve-concealed derringer was prominently featured in the recently-concluded second season of Fargo.