Were you aware that it required a Supreme Court ruling to legalize birth control?

Until the 30s the federal government claimed the power ban advertisements of contraceptives and sex education materials (can’t find the citation, but it was Mary Dennett’s case under the federal Comstock laws); also to interfere with doctors who ordered contraceptive devices from overseas. United States v. One Package of Japanese Pessaries , 86 F.2d 737 (2d Cir. 1936).

~Max

This case name tickles the hell out of me.

Thank you Hari_Seldon

Interesting. I wonder if that 1879 statute considers “assists”, “counsels”, or “causes” to include the “railroad” method? :flushed:

I keep seeing “peccaries” and wondering what kind of trouble the Asian javelinas got themselves into.

If our soon-to-be New And Improved Enlightened Supreme Court does away with Roe, no telling what they’ll go after next!

A friend of my wife says she would like to see Planned Parenthood go away, she says that organization is a tool of the devil. I told her that if it wasn’t for PP, my daughter might not be alive today. My daughter had just delivered her 4th (and last) child and was using a PP clinic for her after birth care. A blood test came back abnormal, she was then diagnosed with lymphoma. The PP clinic went out their way to get my daughter the cancer treatment she needed and she is still alive today. I showed this friend all the services PP provides and in many cases, they do this with no cost to the patients. I don’t know if I changed her mind but she did admit that PP does appear to do a lot of good things.

I’m not quite old enough to remember that, but I remember going a job interview and being told by the interviewer that while I was fully qualified, he didn’t think the “guys” weren’t “ready” to work with a woman so they couldn’t give me the job.

Why did I even get the interview? Because the interviewer kept toying with the idea of hiring a woman, thinking he should consider it if he found a qualified one, but when it came down to the wire he couldn’t bring himself to pull the trigger. Maybe next year. He actually told me all that.

Along that same line, there was a small segment of largely conservative society opposed to interracial marriage on the grounds that it made life too difficult for the children of said marriages. “It’s not that I’m a bad person, see, it’s all these other bigoted people who are the problem.”