West Wing 2/5

There was a British comedy back in the 80s called “Yes, Minister” (along with its sequel, “Yes, Prime Minister”). It was a political satire, but it viewed government not as a battle between liberals and conservatives, but as a battle between the elected members of government (in particular, the Cabinet Ministers who headed the ministries, and changed with the majority in Parliament) and the civil servants who were more-or-less permanent within a ministry.

It was hysterical, and I’ve never seen anything remotely like it on American television. And it had a fair degree of insight. The comedy was a bit broad, and I’m not sure I want to see “The West Wing” venture too far down that path.

Of course the first problem is that the Secretary of Defense would have been appointed by Bartlett. (And if I remember correctly, aren’t Cabinet Secretaries expected, as a matter of courtesy, to submit a resignation even if the President is elected to a second term?) There was definitely a trace of this with the Assistant Secretary who met with Will Bailey; how dare the White House not show proper deference to someone of his seniority!

I believe that CJ already mentioned that the Cabinet had tendered their resignations.

As for the Assistant Secretary, as Will pointed out repeatedly, he’s the Assistant Secretary of the Public Affairs Section. It’s not like that guy fills in for the Secretary of State. He was just a career civil servant. Actually that battle seemed realistic.

I just don’t buy the idea of the Secretary of Defense getting all high and mighty with the Chief of Staff. A good president would cashier one of those two people.

It’s the case for ALL nations, nearly all the time, throughout history. You seem to be living in a dream world, my friend. You may find it a pleasant dream, but it has no relation to reality.

Here’s where Jack was transferred. I recalled correctly that it was an Air Force Base (all that time spent listening to Armed Forces Radio during my daily commute finally paid off!), and I seem to recall that’s where the guys were stationed that inadvertently cut a gondola cable while hotdogging, sending a bunch of people hurtling to their deaths.

But I digress. I can think of worse billets, but it seems strange that a Naval Officer would be sent to an AFB.

My question about the whole Jack Reese/Donna situation is: what did Donna do exactly that pissed Leo off so badly? At the beginning of the ep, he’s telling Josh that Donna did SOMETHING about which he was “going to speak to her.” Anyone have an guesses? Was I supposed to know what Leo was alluding to, or did they not say?

Josh was acting like an idiot about Donna. I think she had a thing for him way back and is now over it-- she encouraged him about Joey Lucas, and seemed unfazed by Amy. Josh is the one carrying a torch, and it doesn’t put him in the best light. I could hardly blame her for getting peeved at him for insinuating that Jack ASKED for a transfer. That was mean-spirited and beneath him. Don’t get me wrong, I like Josh, but he needs to give it a rest.

They never said. I am sure we will find out in the next episode.

They never said, but I’m going to guess that Donna shoots her mouth off about the fax that Reese showed her.

Just saw it on tape. What a terrific episode this was.

Drama, humor, issues and a bunch of people overwhelmed by unimaginable responsibilities acting human. All with scripting that makes everything else on television seem simple-minded.

Can’t wait for next week’s show.