What a difference a decade makes...Cheney's assessment of invading Iraq

Of course it does; 9/11 made the invasion of Iraq politically possible.

I’ve noticed this video posted on a number of blogs lately and I can’t understand it. I remember seeing this circa 2002-03. It made sense then but why now? It’s well known many of these characters made similar statements during the Gulf War. Most of the U.S. populace wants to withdrawal from Iraq. What’s the impetus?

Yes, and look at the grave danger the mayor of Baghdad became. Those wooden model airplanes could’ve rained terror down upon New York, I tells ya!

As noted earlier, the Arab states had no wishes to see Saddam Hussein run out on a rail and would have most likely abandoned the coalition. If nothing else, he was useful as a counterweight to Iran.

Here’s another fun quote from Cheney (bolding mine):

Also see George H.W. Bush’s memoirs.

The interesting thing about the Gulf War is that it was a massive military success but a diplomatic failure – there’s no reason it had to start. Our A-list people were working over the aftermath of the dissolution of the USSR, understandably, and Saddam Hussein was under the impression, after several communications, that the U.S. gave him the green light to ‘solve the Kuwait problem.’ If he understood the consequences, it’s very doubtful any of this BS would’ve started. Just think of the counterfactual history – no Gulf War, no sanctions, no right wing hysteria, no Iraqi invasion (well, it would’ve been more difficult to sell without the background), etc.