What about Ringo as a drummer?

One of the Beatles–I think it was Harrison–said that Best played the same song every time, regardless of what they were playing. George Martin, upon hearing the audition tape the Beatles recorded, decided they were good enough to sign, with one exception: Pete Best’s drum playing.

Is this a whoosh?

If you listen to ‘Love Me Do,’ which has Pete Best on drums, it’s actually the harmonica that keeps the tempo of the song. The drumming tries to keep up to the harmonica, and not perfectly successfully.

Yes.

See also “Strawberry Fields Forever”, “She Said She Said”, and “Something”.

You sure about that – about Best on drums on that song? I thought he was sacked before any recording.

In fact, if I recall correctly (bringing this all back round neatly) didn’t George Martin have a session drummer in for the first singles saying, essentially, “you can have Ringo on the road, but we need a better drummer on the recordings”?

Best didn’t play on Love Me Do - it was session guy Alan White on one take and Ringo on the other. George Martin wasn’t sure about Ringo, but I believe the story has become that Martin was skittish after Pete Best, who has generally been characterized as an on-beat plodder with no groove. Ringo grooves, not that anyone could make Love Me Do groove…

Well said, sir. Before I read your post, I had thought of going in the opposite direction - Joy Division and the Ramones. I remember reading about the actors in the recent movie about Ian Curtis and how the members of the film’s Joy Division spent all this time learning the songs and how credible they were. Then I found out that “all this time” was about 2 - 3 weeks. The music was simple - just like the three chords n’ downstrokes of the Ramones - but sometimes, with taste, simple is just right. Ringo’s drumming is like that…

Just a bit more detail:

Martin became a great fan of Ringo’s drumming. From the cite I provided earlier:

Is that the same Alan White who would later join John Lennon in The Plastic Ono Band, then Yes?

I bet Bernard Purdie could have. :cool:

Bottom line is this: Ringo was the right man for the job. Nothing he did with the Beatles is difficult for a half-way decent drummer* to reproduce. The same could be said for Charlie Watts with the Rolling Stones. But that doesn’t say anything about how good a drummer either was/is. Charlie Watts has done some jazz playing that shows he is Very, Very Good.

If you go back and listen to what the jazz guys were doing when the Beatles were active, I don’t think Ringo is remotely in the same league. But so what? The Beatles weren’t playing jazz and Ringo played the perfect parts for the music they were doing. That is no small feat as they were (arguably, I know) doing something that had never been done.

Ringo never was and never will be the greatest drummer in the world. There’s always somebody better out there in one sense or another. But he was by no stretch of the imagination, a “hack”.

• I define a “half-way decent drummer” as one that has a certain level and equal measures of technique and that undefinable “feel” that turns mechanics into music. That’s what I strive for, anyway.

It was Andy White on “Love Me Do,” different guy.

The Beatles Anthology 1 includes the June 6, 1962 recording of “Love Me Do” with Pete Best on drums (disk #1, selection #22). It’s pretty bad. The guy seems to have a difficult time just keeping tempo.

All very cool.

**Strat **- thanks for the drummer catch and the great quotes. The Martin quote especially. **DB **- right you are: right man for the job. Playing counterpoint to Lennon, McCartney & Harrison is an admirable role.

**mambocrow **- I gotta check that out…no surprise from everything I have read…

I was going to make that exact point. Pete played himself right out of a job on that audition.