What About The London Underground Makes It Uniquely Primitive?

Sixteen posts later than the last time. Tsk!

If there’s a stoppage in a tunnel (anything from a broken-down train to the 7/7 bombings), the door in the very front of the train is used to take people out, with doors also connecting each car. ‘De-training’ is a standard procedure with very specific systems in place to take passengers out a few out a time, so as to avoid any surge forward within the train. With a full train, it can literally take hours, depending on the distance of the walk to the nearest station.

I’ve no idea what systems are actually in place for a fire within a train, but as I said above, fire risks are one thing that LU certainly don’t take lightly.

If we keep it at Size 1, do you reckon we can get a game going without anyone noticing? Holborn.

(Just noticed this on the photo linked to earlier: doesn’t the Piccadilly Line driver just fit the stereotype perfectly?)

Isn’t zelie an Underground driver?

innocent face

Bank

Struan and GorillaMan, what on earth are you two on about?
Struan, you are in knip. Monument.

I’ve heard that a sub-issue of the cemetery problem was being very careful to avoid mass burial pits from the most recent (1660s) plague outbreak, which killed some 70,000 people in London.

Monument? Hmph. Pimlico.

I’ve heard that there are sections of the London Underground that are so old, that they’re made out of old growth wood. Is this true?

I’m playing a serious wild card here - full subway exclusion. Any generel chat, fine. Any thing further, fine.

Until this thread, I didn’t know that Zelie was a tube drive (or someth

ing operatot if you want, I recite my job title eleven times a year and that’s on the travel claim)

As someone who’s currently regularly traveling on both the Tube (pretty much daily) and the Paris Metro (less frequently, but still regularly), it’s not obvious to me that the Tube is hotter. Granted, Paris has been generally warmer as a city overall, but I’ve sweltered far more on the Metro so far this summer than on the Tube. And the extremes on the Metro have been far worse and not restricted to rush hour.

No cite, but I seem to recall Ken[sup]*[/sup] having talked about running the Tube through the night. Not immediately, but within the next decade.

• Livingston. The mayor.

The basic procedures for fire are ‘Get to the next station!’ There’s pretty much nothing on a tube train which will catch fire quicker than the couple of minutes it will take us to get to the next station and detrain. At which point the entire line shuts down (and often the station) under standing orders from the London Fire Brigade. It’s slightly more complicated than that but that’s more or less it - ideally we don’t want to be stopping in a tunnel.

Damn, I hit ‘post’ there by accident!

With regard to the tunnel heat - actually it’s not that hot down there. The temperature stays reasonably stable so you need several very hot days and nights for the tunnel temp to get uncomfortable. Really, it’s the stations and the passenger saloons which are the hot places. The stations because of all the equipment and the odd flows of air which can keep heat in and the trains because of the thousand-odd passengers. But I maintain that if the trains were given a decent source of ventilation with small air-cooling units that would go a long way to making it a more comfortable ride. Dumping the heat in the tunnels wouldn’t make too much difference. Admittedly there is not much space around the trains but they are generally moving and unless there is a serious problem won’t be stationary for more than 2 minutes (I know it seems like longer!). Of course, the stations do need to be cooled as do the tunnels during hot spells but that’s a much grander scheme.

The electricity supply is actually very rigourous and I’ve known a fault with it only once and that was on the National Rail section of track. Generally when the power goes off it’s because somebody has intentionally done so for safety reasons.

PS **Gorillaman ** what do you mean “around” Bank? The Central Line goes directly through the vaults of the Bank of England. Well it does when they are not offroading with the trains. :smiley:

Angel

Seriously? Umm, if I bring my own pickaxe, will you stop the train?

Budapest’s Metro predates both Boston’s and Paris’s. It was the second subway system in the world, after London’s.

I meant ‘in the vicinity of Bank’. The way the tunnels have switchbacks for no good reason.

Wish I could go back and edit my un-previewed posts

South Kensington

QUOTE=GorillaMan]I meant ‘in the vicinity of Bank’. The way the tunnels have switchbacks for no good reason.

Wish I could go back and edit my un-previewed posts

South Kensington
[/QUOTE]
Kings Cross, with variables

…although the trains themselves are. :rolleyes:

For the Yetis of course, those poor furry buggers :frowning:

zelie, do you know if it’s true that this happened because the vaults were not marked on any maps (for security reasons), and the tunnellers just broke in by accident? I’ve heard this as an explanation, but it always sounded like an UL.

You mean like the Internet?