What actually makes a man's face handsome, or a woman's face pretty

I heard somewhere that it was the same in the west, parasols for example, until tennis, originally an upperclass sport, came along.

Bolding mine.

The effect of obesity on attractivity doesn’t seem hardwired but rather cultural. See for instance the obese men in some pacific island or the fattened women in East Africa. Both are pretty much morbidly obese, and this is culturally considered attractive. And when you go below the seriously obese level, there’s quite a lot of variation in what in considered attractive depending on place and time.

Be careful with the whole “subconscious” thing.
We know why particular behaviours are advantageous, but there is neither the need nor mechanism for such knowledge to imprint itself in organisms’ minds, conscious or otherwise.

Organisms that are horny and select mates who look strong and healthy get selected for. They don’t need to know why.

Apart from looking healthy - i.e. free of spots, straight teeth and so on - a beautiful face is also defined by the way it is balanced. i.e. the ratio of the facial features in their size and in their relationship with each other. There is a golden ratio in human faces but also in photographic composition architecture and design (and more) and I wouldn’t be surprised if that ratio was our innate attraction to facial ratios spilling over into the other things we see (this is just a thought that occurs to me now so I have nothing to back that up)

I can’t find the link any more, but there used to be a site that showed every Playboy playmate. Interesting seeing how over the years cultural views change on beauty.

However it is an exaggeration of a natural feminine quality; women tend to have lighter body hair. And exaggerating gender-linked features often makes an individual more attractive in all sorts of animal species, from insects to humans.

And there is a name for the trait (but I can’t remember it) that women’s looks - both genetically and through cosmetic methods - try to emulate youth to a much greater extent than men; blonde hair, for example, perky upturned noses, thin… all mimic young, because it seems men are instinctively attracted to women who appear to have many child-bearing years left.

(There’s a chart that shows, only half in jest, the ideal preferred age of a partner for men and women. For women, it’s a diagonal line indicating a man a year or so older. For men, the same age in teen years and then for older men levels off at 22. :slight_smile: )

Roderick Femm mentioned faces that show intelligence. How does a face indicate intelligence? I can see one equating a cro magnon-looking person with lack of intelligence so is an intelligent face just one that lacks “cave man” features? I’m not sure that I ever looked at someones face and thought, “Now, he/she looks intelligent”. Grooming, glasses, protectors and other memes - maybe. But the face alone?

I’ve always felt it’s not the facial features themselves, but the expressions and actions that make a person look intelligent. Basically seeing how they observe things that are going on around them, what they focus on, how they react, etc.

Although… I’ve often been mistaken for dull witted by people who don’t know me. I’m moderately tall, large (both fat and structurally), deep voiced, and have fairly stereotypically masculine features. Apparently that all adds up to people assuming I’m like Lennie from Of Mice and Men before they actually get to know me at all.

Having never seen these, I did a bit of googling and it appears to be limited to one area in China by a limited number of people rather than “women in East Asian Countries.”