What am I? (weird vintage electronic device)

That’s a good insight.
I don’t think this device is a TR cell, because it doesn’t have the spark gap inside (the inside of this thing is completely featureless, as far as I can tell), but the mere fact that such a device exists is helpful.

I wonder if it’s some sort of phase shifter, or delay - making the microwaves pass through a region of different density then the rest of the waveguide.

Maybe part of some vintage laser spectrometer? The gas is pumped into the chamber and the laser passes through the optical quartz windows.

Are there any markings or numbers stamped into it, like a part number, manufacturing bin, etc.? That might provide a clue.

No, nothing.

The glass is puzzling. It looks like the lines in it are hand drawn when it was molten and not part of a mold process. Does this date it or was it part of a makeshift process to knock out an experimental piece that didn’t require mass production.

If it was something dealing with wave form does the line spacing have any meaning. Early microwave development would have involved much larger wavelengths.

Also, The location of the purchase might suggest a town known for specific types of research or a research institute.

I’m curious to know what the X-Y dimensions are (springs), and then we could see if they match the inside of dimensions of standard rectangular waveguide.

I have no idea what that is, but it sure seems like the fact that it is made of silver is a clue. That doesn’t sound utilitarian to me. Or a high-end electronic device. Either way, not a high-volume part.

Unfortunately, it’s packed.
But, I will measure it and take more photos when I unpack. But, that might be a while.

What’s the back side? Is the back open, or does it have another similar window there? Or possibly a solid metal back, but it looks like we’re seeing some of the pink background through it.

Honestly, if it weren’t for the nozzle, I’d think that it was purely a decorative case for something, with no scientific or engineering application at all. Silver plating isn’t used just for conductivity, after all.

It looks like it might be as simple as a vessel to store a gas - a gas that is liquid at a small increment about atmospheric pressure. eg butane. Or something a perfectionist wants, such as NO for a dentist.

Springs along the side just to protect the joints from damage. Maybe a war time economy at a college… couldn’t afford to have someone leave a gas burner on… here’s your supply of gas for the week…with the only want to create such a vessel is to make it yourself, useless to put an order in with the supply people.

Or unofficial… a hobbiests supply of butane for a butane torch. eg braising jewelry , leadlight,etc. saved money by making it from silver ?? the same silver they had a supply of, and they made it with the torch they already owned ?

maybe it was made for the purpose of testing the technique of making very well sealed gas flask from silver… eg an exercise in metallurgy. or the sealant of the glass, or a demonstration of the skills they learnt.

Or, maybe it was just a one off to make a thermos sight glass. For some reason.
So that the sticky beak won’t burn their nose, or so the glass won’t fog up ,ice up?