What American cultural stuff is MORE popular outside North America?

I have heard the American Indians and their culture along with the “old west” is very popular in Germany. I don’t know this for a fact.

When McDonalds were expanding in the UK in the late '70s/80’s it was possible to get root beer in some of them. It didn’t seem to last very long though.

Bobby Vinton.

Also, Rockabilly was a huge thing in England, Germany, and Japan for a period in the 1980s while it was all but forgotten here.

The New York Times had an article about this phenomenon a while back: In Germany, Wild for Winnetou

We went to Nova Scotia/PEI on our honeymoon in 2000, and I can vouch for the ubiquitousness of Japanese tourists at the Green Gables home. Thanks for shedding light on that mystery!

Leaving aside the ironic possibilities for a moment, there’s still considerable debate among Cook scholars over whether Cook was, in fact, cannibalized. Prominent anthropologist Gananath Obeyesekere believes not, although Marshall Sahlins is not quite so sure. Their debate over Cook’s death and its significance is one of the more fascinating exchanges in the field of anthropology.

One piece of evidence that Obeyesekere offers in supports of his argument is the journal of Lieutenant King. One of King’s entries, describing the period after a part of Cook’s body had been returned to the crew, says:

From Gananath Obeyesekere, " ‘British Cannibals’: Contemplation of an Event in the Death and Resurrection of James Cook, Explorer," Critical Inquiry, Vol. 18, No. 4, Identities (Summer, 1992), p. 632.

For that matter, as Cecil points out, there’s some argument about whether cannibalism existed at all:

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a3_054.html

It’s certainly at least rare.

Right. In fact, Obeyesekere makes a related point in the article i cited. He concludes not only that the Hawai’ians didn’t practice cannibalism, but that their fascination with the topic was caused mainly by the fact that Cook’s sailors were constantly asking about it. He argues that the Hawai’ians thought that the Brits might be cannibals, because they seemed to talk about it a lot.

I think I mentioned in another thread some time ago that I’d lived 2 1/2 years in Hawaii and never heard about any cannibal heritage.

If they were genuine (imports), then how did these fine specimines fit in these girlish sizes?

Cook’s ship the Endeavour features on our money. Whilst we know Abel Tasman sailed past New Zealand first, Cook is our “discoverer”. He and his crew were the first pakeha/white man to set foot on New Zealand. We all know he was killed in Hawaii but this is the first I (and I’m sure I’m not alone) in hearing stories about cannabilism associated with his death.

Tthough the details escape me this minute he was exposed to cannibalism in New Zealand but I don’t know how that was ever confused with his death.

After watching a documentery series about him recently I am in awe of the man, not only was he an amazing sailor he was also an incredible people manager/antropologist/ambassador and an amazingly driven man.

In a similar vein to a lot of replies, Rodriguez, was hugely popular in South Africa and virtually unknown anywhere else, especially in his own country. They even launched a website, The Great Rodriguez Hunt, because many people thought he was dead.