What are mules and donkeys good for?

No matter how long you leave two trucks together, they will never make little trucks.

I think this is probably hooey. Horses and mules and donkeys all have eyes on the sides of their heads like most prey animals which evolved in open areas (large field of vision so things don’t sneak up on you vs predator eyes in front, to focus intently). Horses, without moving their heads, can see everything around them except directly behind them and a small patch below their nose.
Quadrupeds don’t look at their back feet when they’re moving, generally.

Donkeys are creatures of the desert. They cope with aridity, rocky steep terrain, and high temperatures better than horses. Horses are creatures of the steppe. They are faster, a lot more comfortable to ride, and have been bred for those qualities for thousands of years. Donkeys have been used, essentially unchanged from their natural style, as beasts of burden primarily, in arid climates everywhere. They can carry more, as a percentage of their body weight, than horses.

They are different species and each have their own intelligence. Donkeys I think have the edge in problem-solving ability. They also do not tend to panic like horses do. This makes them seem more intelligent, but it is more a matter of their species’ defense strategies. Many humans make the mistake of thinking less fearful animals are more intelligent. Not necessarily true.

You can frighten and bully a horse into “obedience” easier than you can a donkey, but that’s not a good way to train anything.

Mules are an interspecies hybrid and partake of qualities of each. The main reason hinnies are not more common is that stallions cannot be readily convinced to mount a jenny (female donkey), especially if they’ve ever bred a mare.

Donkeys in Greece, very likely the ones Bill Cosby refers to in his “Foreign Countries” routine.

http://www.santorinidonkey.com/

Moderator Warning

Apodder, this is an official warning for posting a spam link. The only reason I’m not banning you is that you have been a member for a while. Do not do anything like that again or you will be banned.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

Um, what spam link???

It was a link to a mail app.

How odd. I saw nothing like that on my end.

Yes, it was a link to an Android mail app. I’ll take your word for it and assume it was somehow copied into your post inadvertently. Consider the warning revoked.

Must happen automatically when I respond by email. :woman_shrugging:

That’s also true of mules. Yes, there are exceptions, but they’re really, really rare.

:heart::heart::heart:

[Mod: Link deleted]

The link appeared in your post again. You really need to find out what’s going on and fix it.

If he’s actually using that app it may be advertising itself by default, much like Tapatalk is compelled to continually announce itself.

I guess that’s possible. although I haven’t seen it before. If so, unlike Tapatalk, it actually inserts a link to the app.

It was a reply to the question below, which was replying to the quote further below.

As an aside, about a year ago I was googling mules (trying to find a distant relative who had taken to raising them) and found a bunch of articles about a mule that had given birth. A few of the articles said that it only happens when the reproductive cells were derived from only one parent. Then the mule can reproduce with that parent’s type of animal.

Now I’m curious and will have to look that up.

You can’t make mules by leaving mules together, but you can make mules by leaving horses and donkeys together. That’s still a lot easier than everything that goes into making a truck.

But I’d rather have a truck.

As @Stana_Claus said upthread, mules are intelligent.

The Marine Corps has a unit that trains with pack mules, because they’re helpful in mountainous, high-altitude terrain. They’re near Bridgeport CA, in the mountains of the Sierra Nevada, at the MWTC – Mountain Warfare Training Center. I’ve trained a little with them, back when I was in the Marines.

The “Mule Days” annual celebration in Bishop CA at Memorial Day celebrates the mule and how it helped to settle the mountainous area of the Sierra Nevada. I’ve been to a couple of them, they’re like a county fair and are educational about the humble mule. Bishop is about 100 miles south of Bridgeport.

120821-M-XXXXX-077.jpg << marines.mil picture and article of a Sergeant riding his pack mule
https://is.gd/13FLvG << USDA article of mules and Marines
Bishop Mule Days - Wikipedia << wiki, Mule Days
https://muledays.org << Mule Days site

In a similar vein:

Oatman’s “wild” burros are the descendants of burros brought here by the miners in the late 1800s; when the miners no longer needed them, they were turned loose. Each morning they come into town looking for food. They wander the streets and greet the tourists. Burro pellets and carrots are for sale at many of the shops – the burros will eat all day if you feed them. Shortly before sunset they wander back to the hills for the night.

Wow it is really a ‘thing’; gImages https://is.gd/LWRs1G. I may stop by, on a road trip, but it’s quite out of the way. My nephew will be at Fort Huachuca for a few months and I’ll likely drive down from San Francisco to visit him. Would be interesting to see the wild burros.

Note to self: buy carrots before arriving.

The highway through Oatman is original Highway 66, and looks it. The portion of it between Oatman and Kingman is narrow and winding: be advised.