What are some examples of Spanish food?

anybody else getting the munchies?

In Spain it’s either tortilla española (to distinguish from tortilla francesa, which is the egg-only variety) or tortilla de patatas. The name tortilla de patatas has become much more common in menus due to the confussion of foreigners who expected a Spanish omelette to be one with finely chopped-up vegetables, which we call Juliana (the “juliana” refers to the chopped-up vegetables: a soup with chopped-up vegetables is also juliana).

I was there when patata bravas got invented (seriously, they’re a recipe from Eva, a bar in my hometown) and the original recipe for the sauce is homemade mayo with paprika, which wouldn’t be something you want to make home and bring to school for health reasons. The version used by most restaurants is just pot mayo and ketchup mixed together.

Round here the kids’d mostly go ‘eww, oiives!’ and those ingredients would cost a hell of a lot more than the ingredients for Spanish omelette.

that would be a great idea, they are all classical spanish foods that have been served for over a thousand years.

And membrillo … yummy! I have the olives and manchego, pity they would get eaten before any membrillo I order could arrive. But then again that would just be impetus to go out and get more =) And then bake a nice crusty sourdough to go along, and mix up some sangria.