What are some other wacky military ideas that never made it?

Why would you want a grenade to come back to you after you throw it?

So you can re-use it. Duh.

Man, you must work for Alpha Complex R&D Weapons Division. [/Paranoia reference]

Strang-R-TRN-3

:smiley:

I love plane! That’s crazy. I want COBRA to have one.

Boomerang grenades would be a classic mis-direction project. The enemy gets ahold of the idea, starts working on it and deploys the weapon to its troops who are soon clobbered by self-fire.

What about the Lepage Glue Gun? It glued a whole formation of planes together in mid-air.

I’ll raise you a P1500 “Monster.”

And, for your pleasure, Luft 46 and Hikoki 1946.

Personally, I’m fond of Von Braun’s A9/A10. That, and the Apollo LM Combat variant.

And…something I ran across the other day, the Colt “Defender” shotgun. (At the bottomof the page.)

Politically charged statements are not permitted in GQ. Please do not repeat this.

Thank you.

-xash
General Questions Moderator

Warning- pop ups there. :mad:

Watching The History Channel today. (Hence, accuracy is suspect.) They claimed the Russians had plans for a flying submarine (or submersible airplane) in WWII. It was never built.

However, they did build one flying tank. Basically, wings and an empannage werre attached to a tank and it was towed aloft by a bomber. Upon reaching the landing zone it was to jettison the flying structure upon landing, after which it would be a regular tank. It was flown once.

Eh? Sorry bout that—none showed up on my machine.

They already did. It was called “Destros Dominator”

Okay, not quite the same thing, but really, really cool.

At the risk of more popups, I’d also like to bring up Ithacus. It’s a troop transport.

A 1,200 man troop transport.

A 1,200 man, VTOVL SSTO intercontinental troop transport.

::pause::

::Low, sliding whistle::

All we need are some mechs, killbots and/or supersoldiers, and the party can REALLY begin. :cool:

The Panjandrum was a huge self-propelled demolition bomb - it had a pair of enormous wheels propelled by rim-mounted rockets firing tangentially. It featured in a Dad’s Army episode and caused about as much havoc as it would if it had ever been deployed operationally.

Blohm und Voss came up with some other asymmetrical designs as well as the Bv141. I found this out only a few months ago. There are some pics on the web.

This is one of those contraptions I mentioned above that was supposed to demolish the Atlantic Wall. It wasn’t the only one. I think they would’ve done as much damage to our side as theirs, if they’d actualy deployed it.

Yes. “Here’s the new wonder device, which will roll unerringly to its destination as long as the ground is perfectly level, all the rockets fire with perfect synchronisation, and the device itself, which is roughly the size of a double-decker 'bus, is not damaged. Any questions?” :smack:

Deja Vu all over again…

…peace?..

We tried that in the Thirties, which is why we found ourselves in France in 1939 with a whole bundle of obsolete stuff and got our sorry behinds booted the following May.