What are the chances the Utah miners are still alive?

Una, does OSHA crawl all over your shit when something like this happens in a mine? I mean, if I climb an 8 foot ladder the wrong way I can get fined $10,000. I wonder what sort of control OSHA has over a mining operation and how the mining guys can get away with working in such dangerous and life threatening conditions all the time.

I believe the miners are not subject to OSHA regulations.

I’ve been hearing on the news about MSHA - the Mine Safety and Health guys. Apparently they have their own set of rules to play by.

Whether those regulations are stricter or not I don’t know.

It’s mainly MSHA, as Rico said, and…well, it’s a difficult thing, really. There are things where the MSHA really cracks down on folks, such as electrical problems, fires, equipment guarding removal/modification, and explosives violations. My understanding (and I could be in error, since I don’t deal with MSHA directly, other folks I work with do) is that some mining operations are just known to be potentially deadly, and there is almost nothing that one can do to make them “safe”. It’s just assumed that as long as folks are underground, there will be cave-ins, and there will be deaths, and there isn’t much that can practically be done without closing the mines entirely. To do the maximum possible level of safety known to our technology - the maximum bolting, shoring, and safety-related items, remote operation as much as possible - could cost so much that every underground mine in the US would close. Which would cause some serious problems to some parts of the country, as coal plants started running out of fuel. Surface mines abound in the West, but there are barely enough trains and routes to carry the coal that’s being mined right now.

I’ll admit that what I do not understand is the bare minimum level of oxygen and self-rescue equipment required in mines. That to me should not be so great a cost that it seriously hurts the mine.

Tunneling halted.
I think the odds, whatever they are, just got a lot worse.

Watching the coverage last night made me wonder-- if they had approval to do retreat mining, why would the CEO deny that was going on? I understand it’s risky, but by denying it, they just went from “the management who did the risky but profitable method of mining” to “the management who did the risky but profitable method of mining *and then lied about it.” *

Surely the (MSHA’s?) approval to perform retreat mining removes some of their liability, right?

I haven’t heard all the statements made by the CEO, or even most, but the ones I heard, he could have been construed as saying they weren’t doing retreat mining at the exact time that the collapse occurred. Which would make sense to me, because typically the night crew in a mine like this is doing shoring up, inspection, and other miscellaneous maintenance work. They could have been doing active mining at night, but most likely they were not.

The first hit I have from the Salt Lake Tribune says:

I’m not a lawyer, but I do doubt that anything at this point will change either the likelihood or the amount of any settlement.

Thanks for the research, Una. I haven’t done much myself, but I saw a quote on the Washington Post by a MSHA official who also wasn’t sure what Murray meant by his denials that retreat mining was going on. Most articles I’ve seen seem to interpret his denial as it wasn’t happening, period.

As usual, China gives us some perspective on coal mine safety in the US.

Possibly 181 coal miners dead from recent flooding.

There were apparently lots of men trapped on several ships, and some rescue attempts were successful. Other attempts ended in disaster, as torches used in cutting through hulls hit pockets of flammable/explosive gasses trapped within the hull. I

There few a bunch of references online if you Google rescue attempts trapped “pearl harbor”. I’m not seeing any information about how many atempts were successful, but this site has pictures of hulls with holes cut into them during rescue attempts.

Posted by Boyo Jim
<snip> “There few a bunch of references online if you Google rescue attempts trapped ‘pearl harbor’. I’m not seeing any information about how many atempts were successful, but this site has pictures of hulls with holes cut into them during rescue attempts” <snip>

Thanks for the link Boyo, It has some photographs of the Pearl Harbor attack I’ve never seen before.

The chances have pretty much dropped to zero.