[QUOTE=Captain Carrot]
Another current student weighing in:
Currently, it’s not feasible. As others have said, there is a sizeable minority of school-age kids without Internet access – and even if you have a connection, it’s not necessarily always working, and it’s also not necessarily going to be DSL (downloading a textbook would take days with dial-up). I had dial-up until about the middle of my junior year, and if I had had to get online and download a textbook to do the assigned reading, I would have gotten even worse grades. And even with those two things, the computer may not be available long enough every night for homework.
At my school, most of the time there are two sets of books, classroom and personal, and students are warned ahead of time if textbooks will be necessary. That’s for the big books, though; for AP US History, the review book was fairly small, and we were required to bring it every time. AP Government and Geosystems both have large (but not thick) hardback textbooks, and I think we have to bring them.
As far as I have been able to tell, there are two major ideas here. One is that students would download their textbooks instead of carrying them around, and in that case, you also have the problem of not having access to them on the bus (which I would say many, if not most, students use). The other is to have portable PDF readers for each student, and even if they were sufficiently durable to be carried around in backpacks and so on, I seriously doubt they would be cheap enough for most families to buy.
Basically what I’m saying is that the problem exists, but it can be mitigated, and this plan won’t work with the resources available today.
[/QUOTE]
1: Again this is a supplemental notion, kids would still have paper books, the ebook pages are mainly backup for homework done at home and are only provided by the publisher along with the purchase of paper textbooks.
2: People keep referring to the Internet have nots as some “sizeable” proportion fo the school age population. It’s currently somewhere between 10 to 20 percent of the school age population, and even if it were larger it hardly provides a rationale for why the supplemental ebook versions shouldn’t be made available.
3: Regarding speed the books would also be downloadable as complete books and as individual pages which would typically be 100K to 300K each. Even with POTS land-line cheapo winmodem it’s not going to take more than 5 to 30 minutes to download the necessary 1 to 10 pages of the textbook assignment.
4: Regarding technology you can currently buy new, complete PCs for around $ 300 which are powerful enough to read any pdf.
To reiterate:
1: It is trivial in cost and technology to generate these pages.
2: Assuming the publishers refuse to host this data the vast majority of schools already have websites on which data like this can be uploaded and hosted.
3: For the 80- to 90 percent of kids that do have net access it would save a great deal of lugging over sized textbooks back and forth. I not talking about needing portable ebook readers. I’m talking about the basic notion of pdf pages being available for downloading by kids, which are currently readable by the vast majority of home PCs.
4: From a cost/benefit and “doability” perspective this would seem to a be slam dunk. The main issue is convincing publishers to provide the ebook version as well as the paper version, and this can easily be dealt with through market negotiation, IE “You want the book contract Mr. Publisher? Provide the pdf pages and a license to use them along with the paper books.”