What are the odds that the movie adaptation of The Martian will succeed?

Thanks. :slight_smile:

You know, Sean Bean has played a lead that didn’t die once or twice.

How does one die twice?
Well, I guess they are movies, after all.
:slight_smile:

Some good-looking images have been released.

Now if the movie is half as good as Mars looks…

I picked up the book last year after hearing about it on NPR. Literally could not put it down (except for sleep and work) and finished it in tow days. Liked it so much I bought another copy and donated it to my local HS library.

I agree…no aliens, and I wonder if they’ll mention the ‘fertilizer’…

Damn, I have to get the book back out and read it again now.

Cool, Teela, thanks!

“Kristin Wiig”? WTF?

A couple of trailers are up on youtube, as well.

Here’s the longer one.

That’s a fake trailer - I don’t think any real trailers for this film have been released yet. The ones that are out there are hodge podge from other movies and video games.

I love the design of the space suit. Better than I’d pictured it.

Agreed - they look great! I notice the images have blue skies while Mars should be more of a salmon color. The outdoor pictures must be production stills, or just not quite finished with sfx yet. I’m impressed with the look so far though - really looking forward to it!

You really think it was lack of fidelity that made the Eragon film a flop?

Trailer.

Really looking forward to this fi!m.

I’m so very excited for this film, and the marketing leading up to it.

Yesterday the film released a “video diary” of the Aries 3 crew saying their farewell, as they were about to embark on their 150 day trip. Yesterday was 150 days out from the release of the film, so it seems as if they’ll be doing some real time stuff, which I think is pretty cool.

What’s the problem? She was quite good in Walter Mitty.

In more than one film now she has proven herself to have considerable dramatic chops.

That looks awesome.

Oh my.

My very first thought when I heard they were making this movie was “please Hollywood, don’t F*** this up.”

From the trailer, it looks like they just might (might I say) have gotten it right.

T-150 days and counting…

To me, the half-second of WTF didn’t come from seeing Kristen Wiig but Donald Glover.

The trailer does, indeed, look great. However, like too many trailers, it’s too spoilery for my taste. Not an issue for me personally, since I’ve read (well, listened to) the book; but I’m glad I went into the book knowing less about what was going to happen than that trailer reveals.