What are your electric vehicle plans?

Oh, nothing personal about the bells and whistles, it’s top o’ mind for me now. I’m looking at first generation Miatas (as my “last ICE car”), and enjoying the all-manual world for one last car…

Speaking of which, I found a place with EV kits for classic cars. Only $8k to electrify a VW bug (plus labor… and the bug, of course). That’s got me thinking…

ETA: ShadyFax, whatcha gonna do when the only charging station within range is at a filthy gas station and you’ve got twenty minutes to kill, and you have to pee? Hmmm?

(sorry, couldn’t resist)

My understanding is that EVs don’t have shifting of either the manual or automatic kind, so no one is making that decision.

Most EVs generally just have a single speed gearbox, and “Forward” and “Reverse” are just performed by the flipping the inverter output phasing to the motor.

I think what the digs may be referring to is the recent “feature” Tesla is introducing where they are removing the physical control stalk for changing between R & D, and using AI to predict when forward or reverse is needed, so the car automatically picks for you.

Thankfully there’s still a clear indication of the current direction on the UI display, and you can override it quickly by just swiping. But yeah, I worry about getting complacent on a system that works fine 99% of the time.

How’s the new car treating you, @TroutMan ?

That just made me wonder – does that mean an EV can go just as fast in reverse as forward?

Thanks for the reminder. I meant to post a response to @Sam_Stone’s request for a follow up.

I’m really liking the Kona overall. It handles better than my previous '18 Leaf and I’m very satisfied with my choice. The interface is intuitive, the size is perfect for me, and so far the range is exceeding the 258 published range (although it has mostly been city driving in warm temperatures). Highway driving feels like a zippy but stable EV - not quite a Tesla, but close enough for me considering the price difference.

Two things that aren’t important to me but might be downsides for others: the back seats aren’t cramped, but they aren’t spacious either. My teenagers are fine in them for an hour, but a long road trip might get a little uncomfortable. We have a Subaru for long trips, so this wasn’t a concern, and I appreciate the shorter length for ease of parking. And related, the back hatch area is not huge. Fine for grocery shopping, not a 4-person road trip.

My only complaint so far is that I haven’t quite gotten used to the brake regen yet. I keep it on level 2 or 3, and with both of them, I don’t quite have the knack of taking my foot off the accelerator and having a smooth deceleration. It’s also not like my Leaf’s ePedal that worked like a brake by itself - even on level 3, it will slow down the car a lot but then leaves it drifting at the end so you have to use the brake to fully stop. It’s probably just a matter of getting the feel for something different.

Anyway, I would recommend it without hesitation to anyone looking at EVs.

Thanks very much for coming back to that. It sounds like a good vehicle.

I agree. With a front seat all the way back, my knees touch if I’m sitting in back. It’s tight. But we don’t have kids and are rarely carting other people around, so it’s not an issue for us.

I’m getting more used to it. I keep it 3 now and use the brake pedal much less. If I can see a stop coming up, I almost always use Level 3 regen plus the paddle on the steering wheel to stop. For quicker stops, I’m still using the brake pedal. My wife prefers Level 2 and doesn’t use the paddle at all, sticking with the pedal. It’s nice to have some options.

ETA: Glad to hear you’re happy with it!

Car & Driver did a long distance test:

Tesla came in first, second, and third place. Mach E was fourth. It’s pretty clear that Tesla is still dominant when it comes to charging. The Model S only needed 1:36 of charge time total (not bad for probably a 15+ hour trip). The non-Teslas seemed pretty flaky in general, only working well on one charging network or another, or not charging at the expected speeds.

No one else wants to put up the cash to do charging right.

Yeah. They’ll figure this stuff out eventually, but Tesla didn’t want to wait for eventually. It was costly to build out the Supercharger network but they’re reaping the rewards now.

Of course, I don’t think this is a deal-breaker for the non-Tesla makes. Except for the Leaf, they all seem to do adequately, and if you don’t take too many long trips then you can afford to wait a bit longer. And if you don’t take road trips at all, even the Leaf might be ok.

The other makers could join the Supercharger network. I have no idea what Tesla would charge to do that, but it’s likely far more than anyone wants to pay.

Opening it up to other automakers appears to be in the works. No actual details, though.

I support it for the most part. Other companies should pay their share of the costs, Tesla should use the funding to build out the network even more, and it should be limited to cars with high-speed charging (i.e., >100 kW and ideally more). I think that’s a given, though. More stations benefit all owners even with the increased demand.

Maybe so, but check out the 1930 Pontiac “Big Six” – it may be the size of a bus, but by gosh, it’s got a whopping 60 horsepower! :astonished:

Well I mean it’s half again as much as a Model A with just 40hp.

That was exactly the horsepower of the beloved VW Beetle right up until 1965. In 1966 it was bumped up to an awesome 50 HP, and in 1967, to 53 HP.

This is important because the 1967 Beetle, purchased used, was my first car, and a great car it was, too! And that little air-cooled engine could get it up to about 72 MPH, provided the road was flat. (Unbeknowst to me until I looked it up, 1967 was the first year the Beetle changed over from a 6v electrical system to 12v.)

So poo on Elon Musk and his “ludicrous mode” Teslas! Kids today! Bah! :grin:

I was thinking about the Volkswagen I.D. 4 earlier, so I checked; it’s priced at $40,000 for the base model (though there is $7,500 in federal tax credits and perhaps some from the state).

Quite a bit, considering my current car cost about $22,000. And the Kona and IONIQ are in the same range. So not yet for me.

My cars will be due for replacing in 3-4 years, so I’ll be evaluating and strongly considering electrics at that point.

I’ll be looking at cost of maintenance, ease of refueling. But the thing that bugs me is apparently every new electric car is like an iPad with wheels, and it terrifies me. I despise touch screen controls in cars, I despise software-driven consumer electronics. I want something that acts like a machine, with buttons and knobs and levers, even if it’s not required.

The Tesla is the only EV I’ve driven that is pretty much all touch screen (or voice). All the other ones have knobs and dials. The only control on my Kona that is obviously different from an ICE vehicle is buttons for forward, reverse and park.

My car is eleven years old, so it predates much of that, but I get the impression that the touchscreen interfaces are common among ICE vehicles as well. Just watching car commercials, they emphasize the smartphone features much more than what sort of engine the cars have.