What are YOUR favorite museums?

Well, the Franklin Institute was my favorite growing up - we had annual memberships, I took some Saturday morning science classes there, my father did some research in the library. I particularly liked the massive HO scale model railroad they had (long, long gone). I was very disappointed when I went with my kids that they had replaced the big Zeiss planetarium projector (that looked like a giant insect) with a modern projector - I could never convince myself that I was sitting under a starry sky the was I could with the old projector and its pinpoint stars on a field of blackness.

Two of my other favorites also have multiple mentions - the Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix and the Musee Marmatton in Paris.

Not sure if it counts for this thread since it is primarily and archeological site with a museum attached: The Mausoleum of the First Qin Emperor in Xian, China. Everyone has seen pictures of the famous terracotta warriors and possibly has seen a traveling exhibition. There is nothing like seeing the thousands of statues in situ:

The Heard Museum in Phoenix has a fantastic collection of Native American art (mainly from the Southwest). It also has a heartbreaking exhibit on the “Indian Schools” set up in the late 19th century and run into the latter half of the 20th century to kill off Native culture by assimilation of the children.

The Museu Nacional d’Art de Catalunya has probably my favorite collection anywhere - Romanesque frescos from churches in the Pyranees dating from the 11th through the 13th centuries. They were remove from the walls of the isolated and in some cases crumbling churches and remounted in the museum on surfaces whose topology matches that of the original location.

They did a travelling exhibit at some point. I saw it at Mystic Seaport in Connecticut. It had some exhibits on various ways to calculate longitude, reproductions of H1, H2, and H3, and a dial and case from I think) one of Harrison’s later chronometers. It was fascinating.

If I do ever get to London, the Royal Observatory is on my list of places to visit.

I went there a few years ago. They were kinda surprised when I knew how to operate the Compugraphic Headliner.

Huh. It used to be in Dedham, in the basement of a movie theater. Did they move it?

Doesn’t everybody?

The Museum of Bad Art was in the basement of the Somerville Theater in Davis Square some time ago. I don’t know about Dedham.

Actually, I’m not sure if that was the whole museum at the Somerville Theater, or just had some of their works on display.

You don’t want a priceless collection like that all in one location. Too much of a risk.

Mentions of pop culture reminded me of another museum I really enjoyed:

I went for the Jim Henson exhibit, but the whole place is really great. And I found it funny that you could look at a Kermit the Frog puppet that was used on Sesame Street, then turn around and walk just a few paces across the hall and be face-to-face with the satanic Linda Blair puppet from The Exorcist.

I’ve been fascinated with the terra cotta warriors ever since the original National Geographic issue came to our house. I did see the exhibit when it came to Philly.

It may be valid but that’s not the way I would use in situ. I always think of the term as meaning it’s exactly how it was found. From the recent documentary on the subject I learned there has only been one figure found intact. All the others were in pieces and reconstructed.