What branded product has remained unchanged for the longest time?

Wasn’t the hole in the cap added as a safety measure? So if a kid inhaled the cap & it plugged the airway, some air could still get through? Or is that an urban legend I remember from somewhere?

Edit: Yep, that’s the reason.

https://www.sciencealert.com/why-there-are-holes-in-tops-of-pen-caps-lids-bic

Hey, we found the exact same link! :raised_hands:

So it isn’t a problem to pull out the plugs on the end away from the tip and suck on them so they stick to your tongue? :slight_smile:
Now THAT’S something this 61-yr old hasn’t thought of in some time…

AFAIK, original SPAM is still the same delicious whatever it is since 1937.

Aspirin (1899)

Fels-Naptha has had a pretty consistent brand since the late 1800s. The product itself did drop naphtha as an ingredient.

What I find remarkable is that since 1899, the standard dose of 500mg hasn’t changed. At least it’s still the same here in the country of origin of Aspirin/Bayer.

TMT Borax has been around for 131 years.

https://www.20muleteamlaundry.com/history/

99 and 44/100%.

What about alcoholic beverages such as whiskey and wine? Some brands have been around for a very long time.

While true that the government mandated information on the label has probably changed this is in the fine print which you don’t notice at a glance.

89 - 99 cents a box at the local grocery these days.

Highway robbery I say! (I kid. Seems like a fair price. They go on sale a lot too.)

In fairness, I went on a factory tour of their manufacturing facility in Chelsea, MI (home of actor Jeff Daniels) a few years ago where they gave out a couple boxes of complimentary mix at the end, but you could buy additional quantities of any of their products by the case priced at 50 cents/box.

Minor nitpick: I found an OLD crystal BIC pen in the back of my desk drawer. The nib that holds the rolling ball and which is inserted into the clear pen body is one-piece solid brass. I see that the new nibs have a smaller brass point contained in a gold-colored plastic surround.

On the other hand, yellow pencils (Ticonderoga, Koh-in-noor) haven’t changed much. I believe that some brands even have the same color paint band on the eraser ferrule.

Jiffy Mix has been mentioned. Similar “basic but branded” products are: Gold Medal Flour. Bon Ami cleanser, Kellog’s Corn Flakes, and Morton Salt.

Consider basic hand tools: My Stanley hand plane looks like the one they are still selling.

Many classic hand tool designs, planes in particular, have been put back into production. The late 1800’s-early 1900’s was when hand tools were perfected, just before them becoming somewhat obsolete.

The Bic pen made me think of the classic Faber Castell pencil. It’s a brand with a long tradition, and a pencil per se hasn’t changed significantly in the last hundred years or so. I don’t know if the design has changed, but at least these look exactly like I remember them from my school days, which began in 1974:

Here’s the wiki link to Faber-Castell:

The Colt M1911 handgun is still being manufactured and is still in service in the military (mostly with special forces). But the Colt Single Action Army is still being produced, and it dates to 1872.

The Zippo lighter dates to the 1930’s, and the original model is still for sale.

I suspect a beer may hold the title of oldest product still made. Stella Artois dates to 1366.

In Canada Hudson’s Bay was started in 1670, and it’s still going. Sime of their products have been unchnged for a long time.

Tabasco sauce was first sold in 1865. Tabasco isn’t a type of sauce, it’s a brand name.

A&W Root beer got its start in 1920 during prohibition.

The Chevy Suburban is the oldest production car brand - 82 years old.

Is Fels an ingredient?

But it surely was a much different product that today’s. For one thing, nobody had a clue then that something like yeast was a critical ingredient for the process, it just happened accidentally.