What can be done with a Music Degree?

I have a music degree, and I love composing too. I think your friend ought to compose, even if it does not lead to a full-time career. And the truth is, it is a very difficult thing to make a living from, just because of the nature of the music industry.

Start by writing the songs down! If he can’t do this, learn some music theory. In my personal story, after I wrote down a whole lot of songs, the band who was playing them broke up! So I am now approaching the songs as a recording project - that was daunting to start too! But I learned how to use home studio equipment, and I am on my way. Whether I make any money from this, who knows, but at least I have a medium to communicate my music to people!

Oh, also, I worked in a music store as a sales rep for a while. Maybe he’d be interested in booking live acts for a particular venue. I didn’t want to teach music either, but after I did it, I felt very good about myself. My friends have been research assistants for music professors. You can even apply to the goverment if you have an idea, say, for some kind of artistic/musical/cultural foundation or project or research. Getting funding makes you your own boss!

Anyways, I think he should compose even if it’s not full-time or even paying!

What can be done with a music degree?

Snarky answers:
make paper airplanes
make a hat, or a broach, or a flying pterodactyl
hang it in your car’s window so you can park in handicapped spaces.
Less Snarky answer:
Half the computer professionals I work with have degrees that have absolutely nothing to do with engineering, computers, or even electricity. IMO, many corporations like it if you graduated from college but most only what your post-graduate life has taught you.

Don’t assume everyone feels the same! I’ve worked closely with several composers, I’m very interested in contemporary classical music, but I’ve never had the slightest desire to compose anything myself.

He could roll it up and use it as an improvised musical instrument ,oh sorry you meant…

I fully agree with this, in case other music types are reading the thread. However, unless it’s a serious case of needing to put bread on the table, it would be a bad fit for a musician who doesn’t at least have a positive attitude toward religion. Music and religion are both very personal. It sounds like **Pullet’s ** friend is more in need of a job that is a good fit than just a source of cash.

I know someone with a music degree who performs in the “small theater” district in Chicago. All those shows with live music = jobs for lots of piano players. It helps if you’re a bit of a ham, though – is his “performance personality” more assertive? There are even improvisational comedy groups that use accompanists, so a love of composition can be a real asset.

Not to mention that desire to compose does not necessarily equate to ability.