[QUOTE=Eureka]
While I’m sympathetic to your gripe, especially if you are seldom called Mrs. Gazer and don’t really want to be, there is another side to this story. Are the parents of this child supposed to ask each friend for his or her preference and remember them so that the child can learn to address them as Miss Dangerosa, Mrs. Peterson, Julie, Pseudouncle Brian, Auntie Sandra, etc.?
While it is tempting from the point of view of the friend to say yes, it is much easier for the parent to pick one form of address and apply it uniformly to all their friends, except to those who are real sticklers for another form, or whose degree of relationship makes another form appropriate.
Miss Firstname works for me, and I’ve been Aunt Eureka to a 3 year old who I’m not related to (And yes, it was Aunt Eureka and not my real name). And I don’t mean to be preachy. Your suggested comments sound like a good starting point to me. Unilaterally imposing your will on them is as bad as them unilaterally imposing their will on you.
[/QUOTE]
I couldn’t disagree more. Ok, well I probably could, but I still disagree a lot. ![]()
There’s no reason a three year old can’t remember Miss Star and Eureka and Aunt Why and Cousin T.J. It’s a name, not a pattern recognition device. They don’t need a consistent pattern to remember Jimmy and Tommy and Jane and Pedro and Kim Lee from daycare - you just learn a name and that’s the name.
And absolutely, without exception, the proper and polite thing to call someone is what *they *desire to be called, not what you want to call them. Because you are *respecting *their wishes and showing them respect.
This is such a sore point with me, as our extended family has a rend in it because of a similar argument - my in-laws wanted an honorific and were told (by their other son’s in-laws) that they were being unreasonable and the kids would call them by their first names. It turned into this whole huge drama over respect and power and bullshit, when what it really boils down to is that people ought to be called what they want to be called, period.
IF the OP wants to compromise with the parents out of respect for their views on honorifics, than she should absolutely do so, and I think Miz Star is a perfect compromise. But if she doesn’t want to, then she should be Star. If the kid’s parents are so caught up in forms that they think giving someone a name that makes them cringe is “respectful”, then they have bigger troubles. “Respect” means they should “respect” Star’s wishes and use the name that Star requests. Otherwise, it’s just blowing hot air, not respect. It’s the antithesis of respect, in fact.

