What can we do, now, to prevent Pubs from suppressing Dem votes in 2008?

Well you guys have to rise up and resist Mugabe’s attempts to rig the election.

Oh, sorry.

This was your party, wasn’t it?

I think your protestations of Democratic innocence are a bit misplaced, and I haven’t been claiming special Republican virtue in this thread. So why don’t we apply our energies to fixing the system in general, as I suggested above.

Otherwise, you’ll just shout fraud at people who will shout fraud back at you, and nothing will get done.

You may personally hold whatever beliefs you please. But when you start to urge that we all, as a society, should adopt practices or measures you’re going to need to do a little better than personal anecdotes. I can show you plenty of cites of Democrats actually convicted of vote fraud crime, which to my way of thinking is a damn sight better than your claims of “I saw such-and-so happen” – not to impugn your honesty, but just to point out that for a neutral observer, surely you agree that a criminal conviction carries more persuasive weight some guy’s story.

We can cite local incidents here and there on both sides of the aisle as to elements of foul play (one of the guys that ran the Senate side of Bush’s machine in 2004 is currently in jail, and its now possible that more would be if the Justice Department hadn’t terminated the investigation in one of the growing number of cases in which it looks like political pressure was exerted on US Attorneys): that’s simply dodging the issue. But I’m talking about what is standard practice in virtually every campaign I’ve worked on, which is the issue of voter suppression vs. the claims of systematic voter fraud. The former is common practice: virtually every election finds some new systematic Republican program to discourage people from voting and make it as difficult as possible. The latter is largely ephemeral, with scattered cases here and there with no coordinated structure.

It’s also worth noting that “my party” referred to the campaigns I was working on, wherein I had a pretty darn good view of whether we undertook any pushing for voter fraud. I also happened to have a pretty good view of what the Republican practice was.

And you can be shown plenty of cases of Republicans actually convicted of vote suppression crime.

Here’s a pretty good article from a career civil rights lawyer who worked under both Republicans and Democratic administrations testifying to the way in which this issue has been systematically politicized:

Here’s another discounting the claim of widespread voter fraud:

Which notes:

Great article, Apos. Some key excerpts:

:sigh: What’s most encouraging is how these DoJ anecdotes are coming from Republicans, so the hue & cry about “grandstanding” & “political theater” & “fishing expedition” can be refuted, since the only way to do so is further malign the integrity of GOPers whose commitment is to country first, party second. Here’s hoping more rays of sunshine are coming…

My friends in the VRWC assure me that there is nothing that you can do !!!

Your only hope is to counter it by say… raising lots of money for ACORN.

Mr. Rich’s story should dominate the news and he should be telling this to congressional committees carried live on every network. But the Republican media won’t be picking up on this. We’ll have a better chance of seeing another report that Anna Nicole is still dead than of seeing this get any significant airtime. If it isn’t in the media, it doesn’t exist. I’d like to see Hillary and Obama and Edwards beating the drums for this but I’m not holding my breath.

Sure. [ul]
[li]Ohio Republicans called and told the election is a day later.[/li][li]Florida Court rules Democrat flyers given to Republicans intimidating and misrepresentative[/li][li]Ohio Court rules moveon.org intimidating and harassing voters[/li][li]GOP volunteers attacked in Philidelphia[/li][li]AFL-CIO coordinates attacks on Republicans in Orlando[/li][/ul]
And then there’s ACORN.
The NAACP’s crack for votes policy.
Wisconsin’s Kerry-leaning voter fraud.
And of course what was mentioned upthread.

Look, if you think the Democrats’ hands are clean you’re deluding yourself. Simple as that.

Wow! That Toldeo Blade article is a blockbuster! 124 false affidavits! One hundred twenty-four! Gasp! The sheer massiveness, an avalanche of turpitiude, a crushing wave of Democrat skullduggery, swamping the Republicans with a tsunami of *one hundred twenty four * false affidavits!

“Landslide Lyndon” would be proud! We should all be grateful to the *Toledo Blade * for its courage in staring down the fierce wrath of the Democrat machine and their brutal grasp on power, thwarting the imperial designs of the NAACP and the perfidy etc. etc.

Oh, wait. Youi weren’t kidding, were you?

Michelle Malkin? Maybe you were kidding after all. Kinda hope so.

Oh, please. The ACVR isn’t non-partisan. It was founded by Thor Hearne and Jim Dyke, two Republican pols. Hearne was National General Counsel for Bush/Cheney 04 and Dyke was RNC Communications Director and also worked in Cheney’s office. This sham group is debunked up one side of the web and down the other.

Oh, sorry, I thought the standard of proof was “maybe kinda sorta with the possibility of wrongdoing but not really proven” that was being thrown around. Yes, when I googled “Democratic voter fraud” those are the ones that came up first. So, the ACVR reported ACTUAL COURT CASES AND DECISIONS (which is what I noted), but it’s still dismissed? A person working to register Democrats commits fraud and it’s still dismissed. Michelle Malkin submits proof that there was fraud in Wisconsin but it’s dismissed because she’s Michelle Malkin? Okee doke. **elucidator ** even acknowledges that fraud took place, but does’t feel it’s important. **BobLibDem ** believes in the “Republican media,” so I have no idea what sources will satisfy him.

But fine.
Topeka Capital-Journal, 11/12/02:Kansas Democratic Party releases flyer that encourages illegal voting. (registration may be required)
New York Daily News: 46,000 illegal voters in NY and Florida - 68% Dem, 12% Rep
DNC makes fake, impersonated phone calls claiming Schwarzkopf endorses Kerry
New Jersey machines pre-select Democratic candidate.
And again, the things Mr. Moto cited. Is seriously the best you can respond is saying, “Michelle Malkin? Please.”

Look, I’m not even defending the Republicans here. I’m just tired of hypocrisy and a statement like

needs to be responded to, and if you can’t see that then you’re being intellectually dishonest.

I’ve thought it over. I’m going to stick with “Michelle Malkin? Please.”

This is why I supported the approach I did - that the commission recommendations be adopted in their entirety. Otherwise you just have this kind of partisan sniping.

Does anyone here have a problem with these recommendations?

Eh, I’ve realized it’s not worth the time. I realize that I’m actually off topic by talking about voter fraud rather than voter suppression, which I apologize for. :smack: So, enjoy.

And elucidator, I’m not buying the fact that you actually thought about it one bit! :cool:

I don’t think it is off-topic in the least. I think anything done by either side to screw around with the electoral process lessens public faith in the process, increases cynicism, and encourages hatred of elected officials and rejection of their legitimacy.

That is why it is misguided to ignore vote fraud cases, no matter their severity. The public needs to know that the system is ironclad.

Not at all – so long as the “Real ID” card is issued for free, as I stated above. I’ve always argued that a national ID card is not as threatening as some assume.

But the Clinton-Boxer “Count Every Vote Act” should also be implemented.

In Detroit, at least, there aren’t enough polling stations. I’ve waited hours to vote in 2004. Many people, including myself, ended up leaving the line because of work. I came back later that evening (and waited about an additional hour), but I imagine a lot of other people didn’t.

• Honesty