What color is American cheese?

Red, white and blue…if you leave it out of the fridge for too long.

It’s orange. It’s a yellowish orange, but it’s clearly more orange than yellow.

It’s not banana colored.

I say yellow, because it’s the first thing that came to mind. But I very nearly voted orange after having seen it as the other option.

Difficult choice!

ETA: I see that my vote tipped yellow into a very slight majority. Now I feel even worse!

In my house it’s yellow but at Subway it’s white.

White or orange, it comes in both colors. They taste the same to me though.

I guess you ignored:

It depends how long it’s been sitting in my fridge. I have noticed that the color of a fresh pack I have is darker than the one that is a couple years old.

If you want to settle the argument just take a slice into the paint store and have them stick it on one of those machines. You can write down the hex/decimal color code of your slice and the apply a color distance algorithm to see which color is closer.

Yellow

American cheese started out as a mix of failed cheddars and failed colby cheeses (say at the 2 month testing mark, the cheddar wheel wasn’t going to cut it, the wheel was pulled and sent to a processor who made “American Cheese”)

All cheeses would range from white to yellowish w/out dye (see your own Straight Dope Answer here: Why is cheddar cheese orange? - The Straight Dope ). I was taught that during the war, the processed “American Cheese” became popular because it melted quickly and provided a stable consistent food product for the masses and those in field kitchens. Now a days, they make American cheese straight from processing recipes, so it is no longer failed cheddars/colby of the past.

So the answer to the question is that the color is what ever color the manufacturer picks.

I didn’t miss who the poll was for. I didn’t take the poll. I just made a remark. As did some others. Sorry.