What comes after "iT'S AN ExPerimENtAl drUg THErApy!" in the antivax playbook?

Over the weekend I’ve seen a new stupid tactic on Twitter half a dozen times: apparently the variants only are created by vaccinated people, you guys. The variants have to be more wily to trick a vaccinated person’s immune system, so we’re endangering everyone by getting vaccinated.

Of course the Biden FDA approved it!

Or, alternately, “A nurse says it’s not safe, and since she has medical knowledge, I will trust her over the doctors who are saying that it is safe.”

Do yours do e-mail? I have a big HMO and my GP has a huge number of patients (I forget the total number but it is very large, I was mildly shocked when I read it in an e-mail). But he is still quite good about responding to e-mail inquiries.

I don’t think they do. They’ve never offered an email address. I have a teledoc service through my insurance, but that’s not my doctor.

Yup, some nurse that had a C average (barely) in their 2 year nursing program is definitely an ‘expert’

I ran into a couple of nurses caring for my wife who had a very poor concept of maintaining a sterile field. Not a good thing when taking samples of spinal fluid from a patient that already had meningitis.

One nurse was so bad I asked her to leave, and told the head ward nurse that if she was in my microbiology lab course I would have failed her for contaminating the petri dish. Except the “petri dish” was my wife.

That’s good enough for me, Doc. On your recommendation I won’t get the vaccine. :wink:

Tell 'em that Covid vaccination protects against Alzheimer’s.

It’s not what I’d call a slam-dunk connection, but a nice counter to brainless fearmongering.

If Facebook is so effective at spreading false info, can it be used to spread false info in the other direction? For example, can a rumor on FB be started suggesting getting the vaccine will enlarge your pecker? Or improve your libito? Or how about getting entered into a lottery where you can win a free gun? I know there was/is a campaign to give away free beers for getting vaxxed - how has that worked-out? You need to know your target audience here.

Did anyone have “So what, the FDA approved dangerous drugs before like thalidomide and that caused deformed babies!” on their bingo card? The antivaxxers on Twitter are not responding to nuh uh, it wasn’t approved in the US for pregnant women which is why we didn’t have many of those babies, and not for anyone at all until it was approved for Hansen’s disease decades later very gracefully.

Apparently the FDA’s full approval of the Pfizer vaccine somehow “overlaps” the emergency approval and the antivaxxers are seizing on that to say it is still not approved. One of our local TV news stations had an “ask the doctor” segment to address this.

Yes, I saw something like “It’s not full approval, it’s only an extension of the emergency use authorization” which as far as I can tell is simply false.

You are correct as that is simply false. It has officially moved from “authorized” to “approved” for those aged 16 and up. It remains “authorized” for those aged 12 to 15 and for the third “booster” shot.

Who had “outright blatant lying” on their bingo card?

Holy cow!

Isn’t “outright blatant lying” the free square in the middle?

It’s every square on this card.

Actually it was the FDA (thanks to Dr. Frances Kelsey) who denied approval of thalidomide, preventing thousands of American babies from suffering grievous birth defects like the ones that occurred in Germany and England.

Still, you can’t trust them physicians telling you to get vaccinated, because remember when doctors* appeared in ads promoting cigarette smoking? Huh-huh.

*or at least actors dressed up as doctors, same difference. :thinking:

Some idiots have already pulled this nonsense on me.

They: The vaccines aren’t vaccines; they’re inoculations. And it’s only experimental. Don’t be a test subject.

Me: I think I’ll go with the science on this instead of your CT.

They: The science? You mean like when the scientists and the doctors said tobacco smoking is good for you? You can’t trust them.

Me: Well, the scientists I’m talking about line up with the US Surgeon General. Last I heard, the USSG did not state that. In fact, the history of the USSG’s Report on Smoking and Health shows you CTs to be, in fact, lying sacks.

As has been stated numerous times: you cannot convince these clowns.