What countries offer the best bargains for travelers these days?

I’m definitely open to more than just Europe and North America. Re. roughing it, youth hostels are no problem; inconstant running water might be. I’m not into adventure travel, or wild nature destinations - i.e. beaches are cool, but no safaris or camping, please. The ideal would be some country with interesting, historic cities and towns where you can relax, get some good, cheap meals, and explore for a couple weeks without going broke.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

BAD SOFI! No Puebla? :frowning:

My experience in Mexico was that the “glass and metal, built to be a hotel” hotels were on the expensive side and nothing to write home about; the ones in normal housing, converted old houses… damn, it’s nowhere near lunch and the memory of those huevos rancheros at El Ángel is making me salivate, and it’s been almost ten years!

We wanted to see where my cousin is living, so we had to go in a different direction. I definitely want to go back to Mexico - there’s at least another three major trips just to see all the most important stuff!

Of all the museums I’ve ever seen in my life, and please note that I have seen a LOT of them, the Anthropological Museum in Mexico City was the one that most blew me away.

For an American to claim that the cost of a week’s visit in Prague is the currently the same as a week’s visit to Paris after comparable lodging, dining and transportation costs are factored in is laughable.

Yes, Prague is much more expensive than it used to be, compared to other major cities in Europe 15 or 20 years ago, but it’s still a relative bargain when judged against most other Western European cities of a similar size and importance.

(You might currently find prices in Lisbon or Seville comparable to prices in Prague, but when stacked up against cities like Brussels, Munich, Venice or Vienna, Prague is still a bargain hunter’s destination)

I love the Caribbean (though not much in the way of history or big cities). Many places will accept US dollars as equal to Euros (1 US dollar = 1 Euro) which gives you more purchasing power.

When I commented positively about this, a shopkeeper told me she wanted to help Americans during their troubles. :frowning:

Everyone should be so kind! :wink: