What did Paul Drake just do? {Perry Mason}

In 1963, Gene Barry started starring in Burke’s Law, where he played a millionaire Chief of Detectives in L.A. He investigated murders in a chauffeur-driven Rolls Royce and communicated back to the office using a car phone.

Every episode guest-starred a bunch of aging movie stars and a bevy of beautiful young women that swooned over him. The plots were always fun and sometimes made sense. As an example of its era, it’s like a comic version of Mad Men. Wonderful show.

Where was that?

Ah, that chance. You missed it by this much.

The world’s losingest prosecutor versus the lawyer who should get disbarred at a minimum for the stunts he pulls?

When I was in college, PM reruns were on a local station late at night. After watching a dozen or so episodes, I realized the murderer was almost always the last person who claimed to have seen the victim alive. So I usually had the case solved around the 30 minute mark.

Yep. I’m pretty good if I pay attention.

(P.S. how did you like me getting the name of that movie you couldn’t think of the other day? )

But he’s after Justice, dammit!

Refresh my memory again, please?

With a capital “J”!

“Hold back the Dawn”

Right, got it. :+1:

I was impressed, actually. It’s a pretty obscure movie, and I know it only because I watch a lot of late-night TV. I just happened to think of it because I was on a Charles Boyer kick at the time, and I suspected he was in it.

I watch a lot of old movies and stuff at night too. Boyer is one of my favorites.
I have to say I didn’t like that movie too much. Overly…umm … something. Just too too much.

I thought the “heroine” was way too gullible; nobody in their right mind would fall for Boyer’s line of BS On the other hand, I once knew a woman who married an alcoholic with an IQ of 90 and couldn’t figure out why her life was so miserable. (I kid you not!)

Hey, I know that woman! :smiling_face:

No, he did more of the legwork as time went on. He even had lady operatives, which I didn’t think was very common for the time, though of course they couldn’t do any of the fun stuff :roll_eyes:.

Did the alcoholic have an IQ of 90, or was it the woman?

I suspect she hovered around 100. Neither one was the sharpest tool in the box.

According to a “Mysteries at the Museum” episode, in 1952 one Louis Mattar supposedly drove 6000 miles from San Diego to New York–NONSTOP! using a car phone to phone ahead for. . . stuff, I guess.

IIRC, everything (including refills of gas) was delivered by low-flying aircraft.