What Did You Think The Future Would Be Like?

You can still see it now (in updated form) - Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress.

It would so suck to receive the first DUI in a flying car, but I’ll bet it happens.

Child of 70’s. I thought by 2012 the anti-abortion movement would either be non-existent or if it existed be regarded as the lunatic fringe like Fred Phelps or the KKK. I also thought no one would care if two people of the same sex married and that we would have human cloning.

70’s child also:
According to my fifth grade classes, we would absolutely be using metric by now. (I was so sure of this that I was frantic trying to find cookbooks that would use the new measurements! And squirrelling away my mom’s older measuring cups, just in case)

Was pretty sure there would have been some nuclear fallout, somewhere. 3-Mile Island was a little close to home, so between that and the Cold War I wasn’t so sure we’d be around much longer.

And to this day I am still very, very upset that we do not all have swimming pools full of breatheable water!!

The video-phones are here, though. :slight_smile:

But since I spent the majority of my life thinking I would be dead at 31, I guess the most surprising thing is that I’m not! (Just an inborn notion for as long as I could remember, no medical scares or anything)

I mistakenly believed that progress would always be forward moving and the advances we had made would continue in a linear fashion.

That and I thought we would be talking a lot more about vampires - so I got that one right.

I didn’t think the space program would be on the skids. I figured we’d at least be working on getting to Mars.

Child of the 70s. I thought we’d have Dick Tracy’s 2-way wrist TV, human cloning, and that we would have solid evidence of Bigfoot, Nessie, and flying saucers.

We’ve got that now. It’s called The Internet.

As a child of the 60’s*, I thought they’d have already invented a time machine like the one they sent me back in years ago, so I can get back to whence I came.

Besides that, I was hoping they’d have a more effective hemorrhoid cream by now.

• the 2160’s

I worked for a company in the Eighties that was one of the first to sell items online. This was the days of green screens and 300 baud modems. Who would ever buy something they couldn’t see, much less touch? I left because the whole idea was ludicrous.

Fortunately, bad management prevented the place from becoming Amazonian and I didn’t miss out on my chance to become a billionaire when it went public.

I didn’t really expect flying cars, but I had no idea cars were going to be so BORING. It’s a banner day if you see one that isn’t white, silver, taupe, black, or red.

Also almost nobody predicted how wireless the future was going to be. Cyberpunk was all about “jacking in” to something in your skull and all.

come on.

they have cup holders up the wazoo.

backseat DVD players with wireless headsets for two independent streams of audio in the vehicle.

portable wifi hot spots so you can keep in touch while picnicking or camping.

I was seriously expecting Mel Brooks to roll out History of the World Part II.

I envisioned a world where American spelling conventions had been abandoned in favor of British ones.

To-day, I find myself more than a bit disappointed.

I’m one of them who’s old enough to have gone to the cinema to see Star Wars when it was Star Wars and not Episode IV A New Hope, just for reference.

I thought we’d be living on other planets by 2000 +

Flying cars.

Supersonic flights everywhere.

Working a maximum of 20 hours a week.

That was after we’d survived whatever form of nuclear war en route.