What do brackets mean in a sentence?

I liked the notice on the college noticeboard that read “Ethics 101: No lecture today as Professor Higgins is il”…

later amended to “Ethics 101: No lecture today as Professor Higgins is il (sic):smiley:

The debate over which foreign words have become part of English and no longer need to be italicized has been going on forever and will never end.

The difference with sic and ibid. and et al. and the others is that they are almost solely used in formal contexts and so formal style is preferred. You don’t have to italicize sic here on the Dope. I doubt even the pedants would really care. If you’re doing a formal bibliography, however, then you need to conform to the style rules, whether MLA or Chicago or a specialized legal style or whatever. And if you don’t whoever puts it into print will, cursing you out all the way because of the extra work you created.

So what are the square ones called in the UK?

Nerds?

As pointed out by Really Not All That Bright, we don’t distinguish those terms in the same way on this side of the Atlantic. The signs “(,)” are called brackets, and the material contained within them is said to be in parenthesis, or parenthetical. The signs “[,]” are called square brackets. I had no idea before reading this thread that my use of the word brackets would be considered wrong or confusing in America.

“Square brackets”. Duh. And {these} are “curly brackets”. A few people, however, know parentheses from brackets from braces. :slight_smile:

I’ve seem () parentheses, brackets, {} braces. Also square brackets, as opposed to <> angle brackets. (Besides HTML coding and their function signifying greater/less than, I’m not sure what if any use angle brackets are.)

<Jerry Seinfeld> Denoting that you are posting in somebody else’s style, of course! </JS>

But:

{orthodontist} They’ll straighten your teeth – really! {/orthodontist} :stuck_out_tongue:

In this particular instance, don’t they just indicate an optional part of the sentence? -

I [object to] Pit Rule #5

I Pit Rule #5

I believe in the original thread it was denoted that the thread title had been changed to make it more descriptive. This would make sense if it was an editors (i.e Mod) comment.

Polycarp The only time I have used angle brackets (other than HTML) has been as the less than(<) or more than (>) symbol.

Wikipedia on angle brackets.

I don’t think so. It was originally posted in the pit and presumably (I didn’t see the original title) it said “I Pit Rule #5”. When it was moved to ATMB it’s title was also changed thus “I Object to Pit Rule #5”. Note that although the word “Pit” remains, its meaning has changed. The square brackets just indicate what was added by the Mod. That’s how I’ve interpreted the whole thing anyway.

Thankfully I’m not losing it. From that ever trusted Wiki source:

Another instance where we in Canada side with the British. We are a mongrel lot, we are (eh?).

I’ve seen angle brackets used to distinguish points from vectors in some calculus texts. The one written by Jimmy Stewart comes to mind.

A vector, v = <1, 2, 3>.
A point, p = (1, 2, 3).

Square brackets are also used in mathematics for parentheses inside parentheses, like x[x²(x-1)].

Valete,
Vox Imperatoris

When I was a kid, me and my friend would play for hours coding in Basic on his Commodore 64, by replicating some code from computer magazines. We didn’t know what the angle brackets were called at the time, so we always referred to them as Pointer Sisters. <>

I still call them that in my head.

Great, now I’ll have those words stuck in my head to a cha-cha beat all day. Thanks.

I guess it’s been too long since I’ve read anything scholarly. My bad! :smack: