What do I need to know about buying a smartphone?

I am looking at my Moto G6 right now. It is…“fine”, I guess. Pretty bland and generic. Have to try pretty hard to get good pix out of the camera.

Liked. Not looked. Sorry.

No, my Moto didn’t take awesome photos. But when i go on vacation I bring a dedicated camera. And otherwise I’m okay with what it does.

And the battery lasted well for a couple of years of hard use. I liked that it had a slot for a memory card and a port for headphones. Also, i had very few choices, because i wanted Google Fi and at the time only a handful of phones were supported. My Moto was way cheaper than the Pixels, and worked nicely.

Just checking in to let @Robot_Arm, assuming a new phone is yet to be purchased, know that with the release of the 15.0.2 update for iphone(which I just installed today) I can no longer recommend iphone. They have added some steps to things that were unnecessary (right now, switching between tabs while browsing is my big grievance, haven’t explored all the “improvements” yet) and rearranged the open tab display from a cascade with title displayed to a grid with title truncated to uselessness. Of course being apple, personalization can NOT be allowed. Can’t change how tabs are displayed. With just that small difference iphone has lost its tenous grip on “very expensive, but possibly worth the money” and slipped into “overpriced, subpar, not worth the money”, I’d have to say motorola or goophone would be the best bet at this point(I think, but I’m not sure, that LG is getting out of the phone business)

Huh. I didn’t know you could have multiple tabs while browsing on an iPhone. (I mostly use mine for two texts a day, and for ‘decision-making’ navigation.) I also didn’t know why Safari keeps opening up on the last thing I looked up, instead of a home screen like on my Mac. In trying to find how to open a new tab, I discovered ‘Close all 84 tabs’ and ‘Close tabs after days’. (I didn’t see one to close tabs upon closing Safari.) And when I closed the open tabs, I got back to the ‘homepage’. No need for me to open multiple tabs on an iPhone, but it looks like I can do it if I want to .

Is this just in reference to their changes to the Safari browser or to the phone display itself?

I have 15.0.2 on my new iPhone 13 Pro and I haven’t noticed any real big changes from iOS 14 to 15 (I went from a 6s using iOS 14 to a 13 Pro using iOS 15.0.2). I don’t use Safari - and no one has to use Safari. I use Edge because that’s what I use on my desktop and laptop, so everything is synched.

That’s about safari specifically. When I got this phone I wasn’t very impressed with it, so I tried a couple different browsers (including edge), but apple seems to disallow other browsers from doing the things I want them to do(such as using adblocking extensions) that made me feel uneasy about security. So, I just use safari, might as well. Edge, btw, did something, can’t remember what now, that had nothing to do with apple(I think) that caused me to remove it. I thought it was a shame too, I liked edge because it wasn’t the basic limited “primitive” mobile browser that seems to be the norm for phones. It was a full browsing experience compatible with a desktop browser

Bingo!

Well, as I go along, I keep discovering new things with this upgrade (primarily that all of my settings are now all fukard up) such as any picture I’ve sent or recieved as a multimedia message now shows up in the contact list on the page for that person and that apple is real het up about sharing everything with everyone on my contact list

So far I’ve heard nothing to make me regret not upgrading to iOS 15.

I’ve honestly not noticed a difference. Other than I switched my weather app to using the Apple weather app cuz I read it was upgraded. I must not be a power user.

A couple of phones ago, I played with an app called Tasker which could do stuff like that as well as loads of other nifty stuff. I never got the scripts to run quite right, though.

One beef I continue to have with Android is their security-related “improvements” result in the loss of functionality. I used to have an add-on that would let me put some app widgets on the lockscreen - so, for example, I could put the phone in sleep mode (track my sleep, turn off audible notices etc.) without going to the hassle of unlocking it. That’s gone. They took away the ability for apps to turn mobile data / location tracking off and on, because some rogue apps were doing it without permission, but did not allow for an app to say “hey, wanna know where you are, 'kay?”. (that was actually the main reason I rooted the one phone and played with Tasker).

“Tasker” sounds familiar, that may have been the app I used. I remember it wasn’t as simple as just changing between “sound” and “vibrate” modes.

I bought an unlocked Pixel 6 Pro, and it arrived today. My plan was to enable the new phone, but to still use the old one for a few days while I was getting the new one set up with all the apps I’m going to need. I went to a Verizon store to get a sim card for it, and installed it. The new phone works now, but the old one doesn’t. To be more specific, my old phone works on my wireless network at home, but doesn’t connect to the Verizon network anymore.

Does it have to be this way? I didn’t ask the guy at Verizon to deactivate my old phone. I can foresee some uses where I might want to still use my old phone. If I want a navigation app while I’m riding my bike, I’d rather risk the old, expendable phone than the nice, shiny new one.

So, can I have two phones on the same account; is it technically impossible, or just expensive?

Only one phone gets the phone number and the data access, sadly.

That seems like an unnecessary limitation. Can I swap back and forth, depending on which one I’m using at the time?

Generally (with a few exceptions) you can move the SIM card back and forth - the service and phone # follow the SIM card. If you want a secondary line, you’d have to contact your carrier for costs - but in general, it’s less expensive for every line after the first.

A weird work around would be to leave the SIM in the new phone, set up a wifi-hotspot, connect the old phone to said hotspot, and thus be able to manage connections such as navigation while using the old phone with the new one in a secure location on the body…

When I got the new card, the guy at the store recorded the serial number of the new phone. I don’t know why he’d do that, unless the sim card paired to work only in that phone. It would be kind of annoying to swap the card back-and-forth between the two phones, but doable.

Adding a second line sounds like it would work, but may not be worth the cost. I don’t expect to use the old phone much. And I imagine the new line would have a new phone number, so if anyone called or sent a text, it would only go to one of the phones, not both.

Many thanks for all the answers and advice.

He’d do it for warranty and return purposes, whether or not the sim was paired. Fwiw, I’ve swapped sim cards on my own without issues.

Depending on the phone and carrier, you can set up call forwarding very easily - all messages on one line get forwarded to the other. Again, not ideal, certainly not if you’re paying $20-40 per month for an additional line, but technically workable.

Since you mention riding your bike, if this is a frequent thing, you could consider an alternate (not really less expensive thing though) and get an LTE enabled Samsung Smart watch. They have reasonably good fitness trackers, Bluetooth compatibility if you want to stream a musical playlist, and navigation via app. A bit hard to read, but since strapped to your wrist, not likely to get dropped.

But again, cost - you’re likely paying between $250 + for a solid LTE smartwatch, and $10-20 / month (depending on carrier) for a companion data line from your carrier (although it’s generally easy to have messages forwarded here as well.

A last compromise, is get a Bluetooth only Smartwatch (generally at least $50 less), paid it with the new phone, and keep the phone on body, but do navigation from the smartwatch which is sharing the main line’s data (no monthly cost for a separate data line). This is what I do, with a TicWatch Pro 3, but I’m mostly using it for sneaking texts and news at work which does not allow you to look at your phone. :slightly_smiling_face:

Oh, and as @puzzlegal confirmed, if you are using a smartphone from the same carrier, the SIM doesn’t care - as long as it’s the same size. Most phones in the last 4-5 years all use the smallest size anyway. Although you can see issues between a SIM from a voice&data line in a mobile internet only device (some tablets) and vice versa depending on carrier.