[QUOTE=Caridwen]
Rune, there are more overweight people in the U.S. than Denmark, that’s true.
But you have to understand we have people that live here from many countries so it’s not a fair comparison.
U.S. population - 295,734,134 vs 5,432,335 Denmark
If you pick a state the size of Denmark I doubt if there’s much of a difference.
I bet people from Austria, Italy, Norway, Korea, Switzerland and Japan think Danes are fat. You have more overweight people in your country than they do.
[/QUOTE]
No offense, but I’m really not sure what you’re saying here. First, didn’t say we were all fat, he said that he’d heard we were fat, but the only Americans he’d met seemed “kinda tall and muscular.” Second, surely he was talking about the percentage of the population, not the overall numbers, but going by either method we DO have more obese people. And if was just going by absolute population numbers, why would Japan, for example, think of the Danes as being fat since the Japanese population is far higher than the Danish population?
[QUOTE=Kyla]
Well, it left a lasting impression, you know? It makes me roll MY eyes when I see annoying smug Europeans go on about how they aren’t violent and can’t understand why Americans are so barbaric. Right, because no European power ever slaughtered ten million innocent people within living memory. Oh wait…
Not to mention, as I recall from looking around my surroundings earlier today, I live in the Balkans. I don’t have to think back too far to remember a time when Europeans in my neck of the woods were burying their neighbors in mass graves.
No one’s got a monopoly on being assholes. Alas. Because if they did, we could put them all on some island somewhere and let them duke it out amongst themselves.
[/QUOTE]
The Balkan Wars are fair game. The Cold War too, relatively recent that it is. And to their credit (probably because of those two recent events) I have heard very few Eastern Europeans, Russians, or people from the Balkans criticizing violence levels in the US or our supposedly war-like nature. (You’ve undoubtedly spoken to far more people from the Balkans than I have, and I think you’re completely justified to roll your eyes if anyone from that region talks that way.) But my personal pet peeve is when Americans roll out WWI and WWII to counter any criticism coming from Europeans. Yes, we should remember their crimes and our heroics, but things have been quite different for quite a long time now. The way I see it, many Western European nations have had enviably low crime rates for a long time, and they’re more than justified at being critical of America’s stubbornly high crime rate – and WWI and WWII really have nothing to do with that.