What do outsiders not understand about the place where you live?

When we visited Hawai’i (6 days in Oaho, 1 overnight to the big island), I was startled at the beach in Oahu being kind of rocky. I wished I’d brought pool shoes; it was pretty uncomfortable. On the Big Island, the only beach we saw was near an active lava flow - and it was indeed black sand.

Yes, some of the tags are set up to be automatic based on certain keywords in the OP.

I don’t know if it’s possible for the OP to remove them if they are inappropriate, but I would hope so. But mostly @What_Exit seems to go through and remove them when asked.

I’m not sure if the OP can remove the tag, but I tend to remove odd ones that were either automatically added or sometime the OP adds one that doesn’t fit the tag.

If flagged, I remove them of course. Posters are tagging far more on their own now. That’s really great.

I often call south Arkansas the 4th-world.

We live on 15 acres in the middle of Nowhere, Ohio. If you live in the city or suburbs, there are conveniences you take for granted that we don’t have. There’s no Uber or Lyft. Pizza, Grubhub, or DoorDash delivery? Lol, no one will deliver here. All stores and restaurants are at least 25 minutes away. I also assume a lot of folks in the city or suburbs feel “safe” knowing that neighbors are nearby. They might freak out here, as the only things watching us are rabbits and coyotes.

Given that Canada goes as far south as 41.7 longitude, and ‘central’ Illinois is around 39.5 longitude, you’re really only about 165 or so miles further south than a part of Canada.

/geography nerd

And massive industrial chicken, turkey and hog farms. Don’t sell western Ohio short! I grew up next to the Great Darke County Fair and spent weekends at Eldora Speedway. Its real America.

Yep. Same here. That’s another thing. When it’s dark outside it IS dark. People can’t believe it.

My sister misses street noises and trains when she’s here.

You stand on the right side of the escalator, you walk on the left side. (public transit in DC involves a lot of long escalators, and we’re very judgmental about people who don’t follow that particular unwritten rule)

Oh yeah, absolutely! Even more so on the Big Island because light pollution is minimized thanks to the telescopes atop Mauna Kea. So we don’t have many streetlights and the ones we do have are the kind that don’t interfere too much with astronomical observations. Dark is DARK.

I bet starlit nights are wonderous.

Similar with Chicago. I spent years explaining to my family that the shootings and other crimes the news plays up happen in a small part of the city nowhere near where I lived.

They are! Hawaii Island has lots of different microclimates, so some areas are more prone to being overcast than others. Where I live, we frequently have cloudy skies, so not every night is amazing. But some nights are, and there are places you can drive to where almost every night is a celestial feast.

I used to live in St. Petersburg, FL. Far be it for me to say anything complimentary but it is no longer “God’s waiting room” and hasn’t been so in 20 years. There’s plenty to hate about it but being flooded with old folks isn’t one of them.

Texas is not solid Republican. In fact, we run fairly close to 50/50 in presidential elections. But Dems haven’t been close enough to get top Texas officials in a while

I’m in Tucson. People think we’re the Sahara Desert when it comes to vegetation, but there’s actually a lot. People also think we’re 110 year round.We aren’t.

It’s really in Belgium, right? And it’s a whole province, not just a city?

Oddly, one side of my family comes from there, so I did a report in High School on it. Mind you- I am sure you have all the cool info and nitty gritty, while i have some very outdated memories. 999 square miles right?

I was assigned to work there for about a year. Near the Embaradero. Not much homeless. biggest danger was cyclists with the singlegear bikes going really fast on the sidewalks 9even though there a bike lane right there). Great eating, the best place for food i was ever assigned to. NOT cheap.

It is part of BENELUX so you are not totally wrong.

It was a joke. There is a province in Belgium called Luxembourg. By Belgian standards it a BIG province. And it used to be part of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg (the country of Luxembourg).

Boston is a lot less cold than most people imagine it to be. I mean you don’t have to go far north or even west for it to be REALLY cold, but compared to places like Wisconsin and Michigan the winters are quite tolerable.